Innovative Marine Aquariums

Help me Frag this Torch Coral

Spicer

if it looks like a Y with two distinct branches with the flesh not connected in the middle, you can cut one of them off.

If you have a dremmel, use a diamond cutting wheel to score where you want it to cut. Look at the stem. Once it is scored you can use a pair of pliers to twist and snap the place that you scored. I use a pair of tin snips that I had left over from a home improvement project where I had to cut some flashing material.

If you don't have a dremmel, you can still use the pliers/tin snips/sturdy scissors to cut the skeleton. It is softer than cutting bone.

Another option is to take the coral out of the tank and use a hack-saw from the bottom of the branch, the snap it off when it is close to being half way through.

dsoz

if it looks like a Y with two distinct branches with the flesh not connected in the middle, you can cut one of them off.

If you have a dremmel, use a diamond cutting wheel to score where you want it to cut. Look at the stem. Once it is scored you can use a pair of pliers to twist and snap the place that you scored. I use a pair of tin snips that I had left over from a home improvement project where I had to cut some flashing material.

If you don't have a dremmel, you can still use the pliers/tin snips/sturdy scissors to cut the skeleton. It is softer than cutting bone.

Another option is to take the coral out of the tank and use a hack-saw from the bottom of the branch, the snap it off when it is close to being half way through.

dsoz

Hmm.

Broke it with my hands.

It looks pissed off though in one tank, and ok in the other.

Its obviously shrunk a lot in both tanks, but in one, it seems like its turning black.

Is this regular?

Yeah... no....

That can't be good.

Should of listened to dsoz.

Whats the difference?

Hes only using the tools cuz hes not strong enough IMO?

Check his 2nd method, use a hack saw, then break it with your hands.

This is almost what I did... Almost lol.

Should have used a dremel with any old cutoff wheel and cut all the way through if possible.

Using a dremel just causes less stress then the brute force method. Of course cover the coral with a SW soaked paper towel so you don't spit any coral dust onto good flesh.

Of course this is all hindsight now that you have already done the dead but you should have listened.

as long as you didn't smash the fleshy part it should be ok. Give it time, see what happens. What else r u gonna do? lol

You guys really underestimated me.

I obviously wrapped in sw paper towel, I didnt expect it to break this easily.

Its opening up now.

Slowly, 2 of 4 heads on this frag are about 1/2 what they were @ the store.

img0289pj.jpg

Seriously... if it makes it... You got lucky is all. Good Luck - hope it does alright for you.

The bone can be brittle and when snapping it with yout hands you run the risk of crushing something you didn't intend to and it causes a lot of stress on the coral.

Dremel with a diamond cutting wheel is your best bet for fragging most LPS.

Archived