Top Shelf Aquatics

Help me choose fish to stock the 5.5 AGA im Planning

jmrybak

Hey everyone,

Im planning a 5.5 AGA and im trying to choose fish for it. I have read the guides here on NR, which pretty much say a goby. Which is cool with me, but after seeing the TOTM i just want to consider all options. No i dont really want a dwarf angel. Just stopping that thought right there. Here are some of the fish i am considering

green banded goby- will i ever get to see this fish? i hear they hide a lot

clown goby

gramma

damsel- yellow tail [smokey]

clown- occy or perc- not sure if this would work

trimma goby [organism]

purple pseudochromis [ken]

Well that's were i stand now, but please let me know what you think! I'm looking for suggestions, opinions, facts, or whatever! Just please be sure to give some reasoning so I can see your prospective!

Thanks

I wouldn't put any clownfish, grammas or damsels in a tank that size. What about some trimma gobies? I've got about 6-8 in my 10 gallon and they're always perched on the rocks looking cool :)

I wouldn't put any clownfish, grammas or damsels in a tank that size. What about some trimma gobies? I've got about 6-8 in my 10 gallon and they're always perched on the rocks looking cool :)

Added to the list, not sure many LFS around me have those... I'll start looking for em too though!

smokey_the_bear

a damsel will do fine, as in a yellow tail or even a baby clown would be okay IMO.

i had a 5.5 with a damsel, went great. then uprgraded after a year because i was wanting space.

a damsel will do fine, as in a yellow tail or even a baby clown would be okay IMO.

i had a 5.5 with a damsel, went great. then uprgraded after a year because i was wanting space.

I was actually looking at a yellow tail, cool looking fish.

If you put a damsel in there it'll kill any other fish that you ever put in there. Don't put a baby clown in there, no clowns, it's a ridiculously small tank for one and it's not very respectful to the fish.

kenschickjah

Not sure if it's widely accepted but I would put a purple pseudochromis in that 5 gallon. They are great fish. I've had one in a 55 and I love the color it adds. They don't need to eat too much and get to a max of about 2 inches. They do well with corals I believe and from what I've observed. Just try and find a young and small one. They like to hide in the rockwork but will mostly be out hovering around.

If you put a damsel in there it'll kill any other fish that you ever put in there. Don't put a baby clown in there, no clowns, it's a ridiculously small tank for one and it's not very respectful to the fish.

The damsel would be by itself!

just the one fish there. Not sure you should do more than one fish with any of them?

Not sure if it's widely accepted but I would put a purple pseudochromis in that 5 gallon. They are great fish. I've had one in a 55 and I love the color it adds. They don't need to eat too much and get to a max of about 2 inches. They do well with corals I believe and from what I've observed. Just try and find a young and small one. They like to hide in the rockwork but will mostly be out hovering around.

Added to the list, pretty similar to the gramma i think. obviously not the same though!

I was just at my LFS for some RO water and seen these little Trimmas. They're the cutest little red and white guys. I was thinking about picking one up myself. I left with a blue and purple ric and a chunk of sworling monti instead lol.

Gotta go back though, they just added some tank-raised black percs...damn addictive hobby

I was just at my LFS for some RO water and seen these little Trimmas. They're the cutest little red and white guys. I was thinking about picking one up myself. I left with a blue and purple ric and a chunk of sworling monti instead lol.

Gotta go back though, they just added some tank-raised black percs...damn addictive hobby

addictive doesnt seem quite strong enough a word.... haha

i just started a similar sized tank (might even be the same size) i am torn between a pair of percs or a orchard dottyback ... clown gobies are nice too but i think the pair of clowns is gonna win out here L(

i just started a similar sized tank (might even be the same size) i am torn between a pair of percs or a orchard dottyback ... clown gobies are nice too but i think the pair of clowns is gonna win out here L(

I've heard from multiple sources including clownfish breeders that a pair needs at least 10 gallons. I might do one in a 5.5 though. A small one.

I just heard from a local breeder that the greenbanded goby's lifespan is only about a year! Is this typical for all gobies? I want a fish that'll last longer than that...

Archived