Cultivated Reef

Montipora what is the best spot for one?

71GTO

I am looking at a red Montipor frag. I have a 28gnano 150w MH. I am wondering would this be able to go near the middle of the tank on a flat rock? What would the best placement be?

I have had my rainbow monti frag about 1 foot below my T-5 fixture in my 29g tank for about 4-6 weeks and it is growing like crazy. I would say you shouldn't have a problem with your setup. Now if I could only keep my acro frags from bleaching on me.

You can put it anywhere in that tank with that light. I'd actually be a little hesitant to put it more than half way up for 2 reasons. 1, I've noticed montis live a happier life in the mid/low end of my high light areas. 2, the plate could shade rock below and make it useless for other coral placement.

I guess looking at the pictures and the tank again it might be a little less then half or half way up How far out do they extend if you let them go? This flat rock is at the back wall of the tank in the far corner. The way I have my rocks I don't think I would be sticking to much back there in this spot. Do they totally encrust a rock? If I put it there on a frag plus it will grow over the rock I wanted to frag it I would need to break up the rock?

I attached a picture it is the flat rock in teh back left behid the powerhead. THe only thing near it at this time is some blue xenia to the right.

post-47345-1271694976_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think of it like this? There was a hole in the rock and I just stuck the whole plug in. I was going to break the post of and glue it so it sticks more straight and out on teh rock, but I figured I would post here to see this is a good idea.

post-47345-1271810465_thumb.jpg

if you have mh then lower the cap down, if it doesnt bleech when it starts to grow it will shade everything underneath it, speaking from personal experience

You think it is to high? I know it can shade. There really isn't anything that back corner. If I can trim it back. I can keep it away from the front of the rocks, but if it is to high up I will try to find another spot.

I have been looking around online I am seeing that they are saying montipora like higher light. Can anyone shed some light on this? :unsure: I really do want ot put this in a good spot in my tank I don't see a better one, that won't mess with my other plans. I would maybe stick it out front, bu tit would shade over the sand bed.

Archived