ReefCleaners.org

12 g Aquapod help please

kuririn986

Is my 12 q aquapod set up correctly?

I have 10.5 lbs LR, 10 lbs live sand, the stock sponge, a chemi-pure bag and the bioballs that came with it. Should I add Macro Algae, or use anything else? Red Mangroves? How will these things affect my tank. The tank has cycled but I dont want to add anything until I know I have put my tank in the best position to suceed.

What are your stocking plans ?

Corals, YWM Goby, pistol shrimp, percula clown, and a purple firefish. I also ordered my CUC from Reefcleaners.org, 4 different types of snails and 4 x-small blue legs.

If you going to keep corals, you may want to consider getting rid of the bioballs and sponge. I would add a couple more pounds of rock. The rock is going to be your biofiltration system so you wont need bioballs. You stocking plans look fine for that size tank. I run a fuge with chaeto and it seems to be very benificial. Bump for the mangroves...

If you going to keep corals, you may want to consider getting rid of the bioballs and sponge. I would add a couple more pounds of rock. The rock is going to be your biofiltration system so you wont need bioballs. You stocking plans look fine for that size tank. I run a fuge with chaeto and it seems to be very benificial. Bump for the mangroves...

+1

I have a 24 & 12 gallon AP's.. I have 20lbs of LR in my 12 and about 40lbs in my 24gallon.. The rock definitely helps with the filtrations. I left the sponges in the tanks, but rinse them out twice a week. Chaeto is a good nutrient exporting macro, but grows like crazy. Water changes are the best way to export excess nutrients in the water. I usually do daily to every other day 1-2 gallon waterchanges along with a 4-5 gallon weekly water change in my 24 gallon. My 12 gallon is still cycling, but I'll probably do the same..

I'd also add some phosban and carbon. I just put them in media bags and have them sit on my filtration pads. It helps pull out excess nutrients as well..

If your planning on keeping coral I'd also add an additional powerhead for flow. Maybe a Koralia nano or Koralia 1. I currently have a K1,K2, and K nano in my 24. My 12 gallon has a K1, but I'll be taking that out because it's going to be setup as a seahorse and macro tank. Good luck

+1

I have a 24 & 12 gallon AP's.. I have 20lbs of LR in my 12 and about 40lbs in my 24gallon.. The rock definitely helps with the filtrations. I left the sponges in the tanks, but rinse them out twice a week. Chaeto is a good nutrient exporting macro, but grows like crazy. Water changes are the best way to export excess nutrients in the water. I usually do daily to every other day 1-2 gallon waterchanges along with a 4-5 gallon weekly water change in my 24 gallon. My 12 gallon is still cycling, but I'll probably do the same..

I'd also add some phosban and carbon. I just put them in media bags and have them sit on my filtration pads. It helps pull out excess nutrients as well..

If your planning on keeping coral I'd also add an additional powerhead for flow. Maybe a Koralia nano or Koralia 1. I currently have a K1,K2, and K nano in my 24. My 12 gallon has a K1, but I'll be taking that out because it's going to be setup as a seahorse and macro tank. Good luck

+1 to the water changes I do a total of 30% a week. I'm not skimming and this is the best way to remove desolved organics and replenish trace elements.

+1 to the water changes I do a total of 30% a week. I'm not skimming and this is the best way to remove desolved organics and replenish trace elements.

I forgot to mention I plan on using ocean blends part 1 calcium and 2 ph/alkalinity. How does this affect my tank?

I forgot to mention I plan on using ocean blends part 1 calcium and 2 ph/alkalinity. How does this affect my tank?

IMO I wouldnt recommend it. If you do regular water changes and use a quality salt mix, your calcium and kH will not need to be buffered at all. Test defore you supplement anything.

Is my 12 q aquapod set up correctly?

I have 10.5 lbs LR, 10 lbs live sand, the stock sponge, a chemi-pure bag and the bioballs that came with it. Should I add Macro Algae, or use anything else? Red Mangroves? How will these things affect my tank. The tank has cycled but I dont want to add anything until I know I have put my tank in the best position to suceed.

This should help:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

Set up a fuge like in the above thread. I would def. get rid of the bioballs and use Chaeto (macro algae) and a scrape the back to install a DIY fuge light (search examples on the DIY thread). I would also use filter floss as a pre-filter between the 1st and 2nd chamber to get the big stuff out of the water. Weekly water changes, maybe think about putting a heater in the back, and possibly have a small powerhead in the main tank like a hydor koralia nano. Then you should be good to go.

This should help:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

Set up a fuge like in the above thread. I would def. get rid of the bioballs and use Chaeto (macro algae) and a scrape the back to install a DIY fuge light (search examples on the DIY thread). I would also use filter floss as a pre-filter between the 1st and 2nd chamber to get the big stuff out of the water. Weekly water changes, maybe think about putting a heater in the back, and possibly have a small powerhead in the main tank like a hydor koralia nano. Then you should be good to go.

I have read that purigen is extremely strong... Is there such thing as being to strong?

I am thinking about removing the bioballs, slowly, and adding filter floss instead of the sponge. But should I really add the Chaeto and purigen is my main question? Will this filter my tank too much? Especially if I want to grow corals?

I have read that purigen is extremely strong... Is there such thing as being to strong?

I am thinking about removing the bioballs, slowly, and adding filter floss instead of the sponge. But should I really add the Chaeto and purigen is my main question? Will this filter my tank too much? Especially if I want to grow corals?

Chaeto is beneficial by pulling out excess nutrients and prohibits nuisance algae growth. It's good and I have it in my fuge in my 95 gallon and a good size ball in my 12 gallon AP. However, I don't use it in my 24 gallon because there's no room in the display and I haven't gotten around to setting up a fuge for it. Not sure how strong Purigen is because I've never used it..

For the most part you can't really filter too much for coral growth. Unless you over skim and it pulls all of your trace elements out. It also depends on what kind of corals you want to keep. I have SPS, LPS, and zoas in my 24 gallon. I do a lot of water changes because I feed my tank a lot. The SPS like clean water and the LPS and zoas like food, so I feed them and do water changes to make all involved happy. The water changes aren't bad and it's the most efficient way to keep the tank healthy. Here's a pic that I took on Saturday after a waterchange. The pumps were off.. I cleaned the algae off the glass and powerheads yesterday, so don't mind the mess. It's also getting a little overcrowded..

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv202/n...16/IMG_1339.jpg

Archived