inTank Media Baskets

Livestock Wishlist -- Advice to not overstock my tank

cms90740

I've been researching for a while now about saltwater tanks and just this weekend I set up my 10 gallon with live sand. So it's currently cycling. So I've got about a month or so to finalize what fish I'm getting and I'd like some advice. I'm definitely getting a couple clown fish (not sure which ones though? what's the difference? Ocellaris? Percula?) and a couple snails to keep the sand aerated. I'd like to have a Royal Gramma but all I've read on the forum is that they get aggressive and kinda mean, so I'm thinking that'd be a bad idea? (Insert advice here). And I'd like to get a green clown goby. So advice on what I should do without over doing it would be much appreciated. I'm thinking a pair of clowns and a goby and a few snails? Oh, and I forgot to add I'm just doing fish for now. No corals just yet.

NaClCrocodile

Looks like a decent plan to me. The first 3-4 fish I had in my 10g died (learning curve I think) so don't get disappointed. Two clowns may be enough for a while, I've got two ~3 month old clowns and a bizarre little goby and if I miss water changes my corals feel it. Sometimes fish are harder to keep than corals IMO.

Grendel0501
I've been researching for a while now about saltwater tanks and just this weekend I set up my 10 gallon with live sand. So it's currently cycling. So I've got about a month or so to finalize what fish I'm getting and I'd like some advice. I'm definitely getting a couple clown fish (not sure which ones though? what's the difference? Ocellaris? Percula?) and a couple snails to keep the sand aerated. I'd like to have a Royal Gramma but all I've read on the forum is that they get aggressive and kinda mean, so I'm thinking that'd be a bad idea? (Insert advice here). And I'd like to get a green clown goby. So advice on what I should do without over doing it would be much appreciated. I'm thinking a pair of clowns and a goby and a few snails? Oh, and I forgot to add I'm just doing fish for now. No corals just yet.

Ocellaris or False Perculas are alittle more orange than the true perculas. The true percula is almost yellow when compared to its false cousins.

Do you intend to add live rock and if so how much?

no i haven't really read alot about live rock perhaps sometimes later in the future but not any time real soon

You should probably rethink the LR - it would be your primary filtration.

I've kept tanks in the 80's / 90's with out it and I know it can be done - but you'd be much better off with it.

i think two clowns would be pushing it, but doable, just keep on top of your water changes.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74703

use this for stocking info

ocellaris (false percs) are generally less aggressive (most clowns get more aggressive with maturity) and ocellaris also have a thinner black border between the white and orange. ocellaris usually have 11 dorsal spines while perculas have 10. ocellaris are also generally a tiny bit smaller. and i THINK (don't hold me to this) that true percs will more often strive to host something and will not venture as far away as an ocellaris

i went with an ocellaris and he's a cute little guy

the royal gramma is going to be a 3 inch fish, he's definitely going to be too big for that tank

I have a Tailspot Blenny , and a pom pom crab in my 10g. the tailspot is cool - great personality. the clown goby is cool, just doesn't do much . I think a shrimp/ goby pair would be nice..... if I didn't have sexy's in mine i would go that route. I agree that some fish are harder than coral to keep, but you should try some shrooms in there at least, just to add a little color. If you go the Blenny route, you might want to think of getting some type of screen cover to keep him in the water, so there is my two cents hope it helps.

Good Luck,

Bryan

here is a quick shot of my setup

NaClCrocodile

Have you got a HOB filter? I would get at least an AquaClear 30. You're going to need LR also. That'll seed your tank with the bacteria you'll need to keep ammonia/nitrites down. Live sand from a bag is about as useful as sandbox sand for bacteria seeding. Get acquainted with some local reefers and see if you can get a scoop of their sand to seed yours with, it'll add diversity as well as bacteria.

they usually say a # to 1.5# per gallon, so 10-15 #s would be good, i'd go toward the higher end of the spectrum if you're going to push the limits stocking wise

Oh, I'd say anywhere from 8-10, but the choice is yours. I'd do about 7 personally. I have a gramma. It graduated from a bc8-30g-135g and hasn't really been mean, but def watch it with two other fish in a 10g. Grammas can be territorial.

OClownsandNanos

The amount you will need depends on the type of live rock you get. If you get lighter, more porous live rock then you may be able to do with 10 lbs or less, but if you go for heavier, denser stuff you will need more than 10 lbs. Lighter, more porous rock is generally preferred, BTW.

Archived