Top Shelf Aquatics

Aquatic Life protein skimmer

ezsalt73

Does anyone use the aquatic life PS 115 skimmer?. I am thinking of adding one into my 20 long reef. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

Does anyone use the aquatic life PS 115 skimmer?. I am thinking of adding one into my 20 long reef. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

I had one on my 20 long and it did a good job, pulled out really dark waste. Took about a week for it to really start working and the microbubbles to disappear. I'd recommend to a cheaper alternitive to the tzune 9002.

I have one in my BC29 and it works great. For the price it can't be beat for a 25 gal or less tank. I would highly recommend it. I don't think its more expensive counterparts would do much better.

Not really the best pic, but you can see that it works pretty good. I just emptied it, so it doesn't have much skimmate. I also modded it a bit. I cut a noch in the top of the dial so I can use a screwdriver to turn it. The way I have it in there its tough to get my hands in to turn the dial; screwdriver works great.

0330101015-00.jpg

I have one in my BC29 and it works great. For the price it can't be beat for a 25 gal or less tank. I would highly recommend it. I don't think its more expensive counterparts would do much better.

Not really the best pic, but you can see that it works pretty good. I just emptied it, so it doesn't have much skimmate. I also modded it a bit. I cut a noch in the top of the dial so I can use a screwdriver to turn it. The way I have it in there its tough to get my hands in to turn the dial; screwdriver works great.

0330101015-00.jpg

The aquaticlife mini is a nice little skimmer, but I have to disagree with you about the other counterparts would not do much better. The skimmer is excellent and so is the tunze 9002, but they tend to underskim when it comes to a tank as your BC29 unless you do heavy water changes. The Warner or Deltec units will skim out crap that the aquaticlife or tunze 9002 can't due to lack of real power behind them. I still have my aquaticlife on my wife's bc8 and its a great little skimmer, but if I hook up my cpr aeroforce, h1, or h2 to the bc8 (hanging on the front) it will pull out crap that would amaze you.

Don't mean to highjack but does anyone know if it'll fit in the 28g nanocube?

No. The cpr aeroforce, h1, h2, and the deltecs units will fit though.

"The aquaticlife mini is a nice little skimmer, but I have to disagree with you about the other counterparts would not do much better. The skimmer is excellent and so is the tunze 9002, but they tend to underskim when it comes to a tank as your BC29 unless you do heavy water changes. The Warner or Deltec units will skim out crap that the aquaticlife or tunze 9002 can't due to lack of real power behind them. I still have my aquaticlife on my wife's bc8 and its a great little skimmer, but if I hook up my cpr aeroforce, h1, or h2 to the bc8 (hanging on the front) it will pull out crap that would amaze you."

No doubt, you are correct about those $250 - $300 skimmers, but does it pull that much more that its worth 6 times the price? I was comparing the AquaticLife to Tunze and CPR SR2 or 3, and for the money I'm glad I went with AquaticLife. I pull out some really dark skimmate every 5 days or so. Other than my heater cooking my tank recently, my tank had been spotless and everything was thriving. I still say go AquaticLife for his 20 gallon tank. Granted, if you don't mind spending $300 go for the best, but this is a good alternative for a budget. JMO.

JayEeeTeeEss

I agree with marine1. I've had this skimmer in my BC29 for a few weeks in the first chamber like RUPERT and its pulling some dark crap out. Way better then my biocube skimmer I used to have. Worth the price and fits inside the hood which was a selling factor for me because I didn't want to go hoodless.

• 2 weeks later...
trigger1121

I'm looking at one of these skimmers as well. Does it fir in the BC29 with the back lid shut?

• 2 months later...

Archived