Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

74 degrees to cold?

fishdaddy0831

fishdaddy0831

So I went open top and now I cant keep my temp consistent. If I leave the fan off it gets to hot, and If I leave it on I go down to 74.F. I have a RKL on the way, but it will take a week to get here. I cant be home all day to plug and unplug my fan so....should my corals and cuc be ok for a week at 74 degrees? I dont have any fish.

You should slowly raise your temps about 4 degrees. 74 is on the cool side. Your corals and inverts could be ok but it will depend on the type of corals you have. Some are sensitive to temperatures.

I'm sure you thought about this, but what about using a heater and keep the fans on. Wouldn't that keep your temp more consistent?

I went open top recently (a lot cooler than w/ canopy) and my heater cooked everything. Now I can't keep the water as consistent as before because I yanked the heater.

cheryl jordan

Get a thermometer, that will stop the large temp swings. If the tank was consistantly 74 you would probably be ok, but temps swings are bad. Consistancy :D

NaClCrocodile

Yeah, let's get some details here. Tank, heater, light, all the goods. What about keeping a fan on a timer? Set it to turn on after 20-30 mins after the light and off the same time before the light turns off.

acropora1981
Get a thermometer, that will stop the large temp swings. If the tank was consistantly 74 you would probably be ok, but temps swings are bad. Consistancy :D

How would a thermometer help keep the temperature consistant? It merely measure temperature. -1.

Just move the fan further away or use a timer for a few days.

So I went open top and now I cant keep my temp consistent. If I leave the fan off it gets to hot, and If I leave it on I go down to 74.F. I have a RKL on the way, but it will take a week to get here. I cant be home all day to plug and unplug my fan so....should my corals and cuc be ok for a week at 74 degrees? I dont have any fish.

They will be fine. I ran a few of my tanks consistently at 75 degrees with no ill effects. I had a mixed reef with various species of fish and invertebrates. I actually prefer running my tanks cooler than most.

fishdaddy0831

Cool...thanks for the help guys. Hopefully the RKL will come in fast. I dont like the tank temp changing so much. Good thing is I dont have fish. Just a couple SPS, Zoas, and shrooms.

Mine live at 75 and are doing great. it's the high heat that is detrimental but I think lower temperature is ok. My zoa multiply like crazy and all my coral are doing fine, even the delicate alveopore and goniopora et doing great and growing.

fishdaddy0831
What does "too hot" actually mean? What temperature is your heater set to? It sounds the setting is too low. You can see here that a range of 76-83 is a safe bet:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

I didn't want to see how hot it would get. With the fan off it almost hit 85 and was climbing.

The heater is on all the time...it cant keep up with the cooling from the fan.

Ive had the last 4 days off and Ive been playing with this the whole time. I honestly cant keep it in check. Its only a 12g tank and the temp in the tank changes very fast depending on if the fan is on or not. If I go just 2 hours without checking it will shift 6 degrees!

In 4 days its been as high as 85 and as low as 71! I thought it stay at room temp (74), but over night with the fan on it got colder then the house ><

The good news is all the corals and the cuc are acting completely normal. Thank God I dont have any fish yet.

I just wish the ebay dealer I got the RKL from had a overnight shipping option.

acropora1981

are you running metal halides? If so...man...just turn those bad boys off for 2 days or so. That will help. Or run them for like 2-3 hrs per day until you get the controller!

fishdaddy0831

So when I baught my RKL off ebay it said that the seller had over 10 in stock, but I just got an email from him saying he was out of stock and wont get more in untill thurs. So now im looking at 8 days!!!!

Im pretty pissed about it. He asked if I could wait, and I think I'm gonna tell him to give me my money back.

I would say your greatest concern is how much does the temp swing in a day. 74 for while will be fine... but if it's swing from 70 - 80 or something like that then you have a problem and need to find a way to stabilize it. If 74 is your peak - make sure your heater is set to maintain that 74 when the lights are off and through the coolest part of the night.

lakshwadeep

What kind of thermometer are you using? 71º is bordering temperate water conditions. More delicate SPS (acroporas) are not going to do well with such large swings.

You don't have to wait for a reefkeeper to have stable tank temperatures. How powerful is the fan that the heater can't get the temperature above 74? What is the heater wattage? Is the fan on a timer?

idk if this will help. but i once used two fans one to blast air in and one to suck air out. if i ran both it would get too cold. so i played with it. and i got the most consistant temp by just running the fan that sucked air out.

fishdaddy0831
What kind of thermometer are you using? 71º is bordering temperate water conditions. More delicate SPS (acroporas) are not going to do well with such large swings.

You don't have to wait for a reefkeeper to have stable tank temperatures. How powerful is the fan that the heater can't get the temperature above 74? What is the heater wattage? Is the fan on a timer?

Ive got 2 thermometers so the temp is right. The fan is a silent X PC fan...nothing to crazy.

The heater is only a 25W thats why it cant keep up with the fans cooling. It was perfect when I had the closed top, but plan on upgrading now. Im playing around with the fan on a timer, but guessing how often I should have the fan turn off and on to keep the temp + or - 1 degree isnt easy.

I turned the house up a few degrees and its been staying at 76 most of the day. Hopefully when the MH goes off it doesnt drop to much tonight. I dont think it will.

Looks like Ill just have to have a warm house for a few days. No big deal.

Thanks for all the help guys/gals.

1st off you are going to need an appropriate sized heater for your system even when you get the RK hooked up. A heaters main use is to keep a constant temp.

Get the right heater and a fan and have that all hooked to the RK and your fluctuation goes away. But start by going to Petsmart (or Walmart or LFS) and getting an appropriate sized heater -- TOMORROW.

Screw Ebay for a RK -- there are too many online stores that sell RK'ers to have to wait for something that should have been in stock in the 1st place.

+1 on temp swings and heater/thermometer.

Get a digital thermometer they are super cheap and substantially accurate. Temp fluctuation are the major concern. After getting my digital thermometer I freaked when I realized I was swinging 4 degrees almost everyday!!!

Get a Stealth heater they are the shizzle :D

good luck

Leggers

fishdaddy0831
Screw Ebay for a RK -- there are too many online stores that sell RK'ers to have to wait for something that should have been in stock in the 1st place.

Actualy every online dealer I found that sold the RKL was out of stock. Ebay was the only one that claimed to be in stock and after I placed the bid I got the email saying he wasnt.

lakshwadeep

Yes, it seems like the heater is the main problem if the current one can't affect temperatures when being constantly on (which the RKL won't change). After that, you should be fine.

Archived