inTank Media Baskets

Reef Octopus NW150

Tinytank

Ok so I have a question for the more educated in the bunch ;)

I have this skimmer and I took it out Friday to clean it. I left it out and my dad accidentally dropped it when he was moving it.

The body separated from the baseplate, not a perfectly clean break, but close. So my question is can this be fixed? Is there some adhesive that I can use to reseal the broken body?

Thanks for the help guys and gals!!

Would some weld-on do the trick maybe? You can buy it off eBay.

I thought about that. I know there are products you can buy to attach acrylic to acrylic but is that what both of these parts are?

I'm worried the somewhat ragged edge will be unable to seal properly. Would a small leak at the bottom matter?

Bump!

Anyone ever broken a skimmer like this? Any first hand experience or ideas on how to repair it?

Is weld-on safe to use on an in tank application?

Since it's and in-sump skimmer I'm not sure if the small crack would even matter all that much. And since it's just a small crack you could probably run a bead of silicone over it to seal it up. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would do the job.

Since it's and in-sump skimmer I'm not sure if the small crack would even matter all that much. And since it's just a small crack you could probably run a bead of silicone over it to seal it up. It wouldn't look pretty, but it would do the job.

Perhaps I wasn't that clear in my explanation lol. This is far from a small crack. Basically the skimmer body and baseplate are totally separated. I mean the skimmer has a completely open bottom and I am trying to reattach it to the bottom.

I thought about silicone but doesn't silicone work poorly on acrylic to acrylic seals?

Perhaps I wasn't that clear in my explanation lol. This is far from a small crack. Basically the skimmer body and baseplate are totally separated. I mean the skimmer has a completely open bottom and I am trying to reattach it to the bottom.

I thought about silicone but doesn't silicone work poorly on acrylic to acrylic seals?

I would probably use some weld on to attach the two pieces. Then put a bead of silicone around the break to seal up any cracks that the weld on didn't fix. I wouldn't use silicone to build an acrylic tank, but it should seal up the crack just fine.

I would probably use some weld on to attach the two pieces. Then put a bead of silicone around the break to seal up any cracks that the weld on didn't fix. I wouldn't use silicone to build an acrylic tank, but it should seal up the crack just fine.

Cool thanks for the advice. I am gonna go with weld on, super glue gel, and finish it off with a big ugly bead of silicone. Won't be the prettiest thing ever but if it works I'll take it.

Cool thanks for the advice. I am gonna go with weld on, super glue gel, and finish it off with a big ugly bead of silicone. Won't be the prettiest thing ever but if it works I'll take it.

There are different types of weld-on and they are numbered....Get the thickened type, it's works best for repairs.

I've also seen where people use "plexi-shavings" mixed with the thickened Weld-on and the weld-on melts it into a thickened goo that can be used to fill cracks that don't fit back together nicely. (if that makes any sense)

Good luck....you can fix it!

DougN

Archived