inTank Media Baskets

Damn you, Chiller

LebaneseDlight

LebaneseDlight

Last time I had my chiller set up (last year), my pump had broken while I was on vacation and my tank had cooked as it was during a heatwave. I stopped using the chiller after that, and last night, I set it back up.

It doesn't seem to be cooling, or if it is, it's at a very very slow rate. On my 34gallons, it took about 2 hours to cool it from 84.5 to 79 - if it cooled it at all, as my MH had also turned off and it probably was the lack of MH that naturally brought the temp down...

What could be the problem? Maybe something fried when the pump broke last time? Could it be out of antifreeze or whatever it is that cools?

I wonder if it's under warranty, it's under two years old AquaEuroUSA 1/10hp, but I don't have a receipt :(

LebaneseDlight

Do these 1/10hp Inline Chillers use Freon? Could I need more freon? Why must everything that must go wrong always go wrong?

LebaneseDlight
imo set up a ATO and use a fan. it dropped my temps from 86-ish to a constant 78. i do go through a liter of Fresh top off water a day, but still, if you have your own RODI its cake :D

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...fm?pcatid=14701

I like that fan! I may have to go that route - but def would need to supplement w/ATO device. Maybe I'll jimmyrig a home fan in the meanwhile. If I can't fix this chiller, I'm going to have to buy a new one cause my sps heavy display is in dire need of some temp stability -_-

I like that fan! I may have to go that route - but def would need to supplement w/ATO device. Maybe I'll jimmyrig a home fan in the meanwhile. If I can't fix this chiller, I'm going to have to buy a new one cause my sps heavy display is in dire need of some temp stability -_-

if its under 40gallons the quad fan is more than enough. my fan helped my tank make it through our last hot summer :D

neanderthalman

Make sure you keep the fan blades clean. If they get dirty, the amount of air pushed by the fan will drop dramatically. I've been having some heat issues as things warm up here - issues that I did not have in the peak of last summer. After cleaning the various ventilation and evaporative cooling fans, the airflow is noticeably increased.

LebaneseDlight
After cleaning the various ventilation and evaporative cooling fans, the airflow is noticeably increased.

Thanks, neanderthalman :) I will check it out today. Also, hit up a chiller repairman on RC, and he said to (in case anyone else has a similar problem):

- If my GPH of the pump is too fast, the chiller might not have enough time to cool (so try a slower pump)

- Open up the chiller (I'm skirred) and fill the chamber that holds the water with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water overnight, then rinse, as salt may have crystalized in there because I've had it chillin' in storage for so long

Never opened up a chiller before, but that's what I'll look into when I get home. fingerscrossed

LebaneseDlight

For anyone following along, or for future people who utilize the search forum. Here's how I fixed my chiller's performance:

- I backflushed with vinegar water for 3 hours, then freshwater rinsed for 1 hour

- I removed the filter media/grate from the front of the unit (sort of like the dryer's lint liner, very easy to do) and it was covered in a layer of dust! This alone would have made a big difference

- I opened up the entire unit to get to the fan blades. Turns out I didn't need to do this, as the fans were still very clean. I lubed them up lightly with WD40 since I was already in there. If your chiller is only a year or two old, I wouldn't even delve in here yet

- I moved the chiller to the open air. Although we all know it says not to put the chiller in the stand, I still did. My reasoning was: I took the door of the stand out, and so airflow wasn't TOO obstructed, and I had a fan blowing in there. Well, when I had the chiller in my Solana stand, it got REALLY hot. Like a radiant heater. I thought this was normal. Now that the chiller is totally out in the open air (has 1 foot of space around it on all sides), it only gets warm to the touch. NEVER hot. So if any of you have your chiller in a stand, I emplore you to get it out and see what a difference this makes.

My chiller is working and looking like brand new again!

For anyone following along, or for future people who utilize the search forum. Here's how I fixed my chiller's performance:

- I backflushed with vinegar water for 3 hours, then freshwater rinsed for 1 hour

- I removed the filter media/grate from the front of the unit (sort of like the dryer's lint liner, very easy to do) and it was covered in a layer of dust! This alone would have made a big difference

- I opened up the entire unit to get to the fan blades. Turns out I didn't need to do this, as the fans were still very clean. I lubed them up lightly with WD40 since I was already in there. If your chiller is only a year or two old, I wouldn't even delve in here yet

- I moved the chiller to the open air. Although we all know it says not to put the chiller in the stand, I still did. My reasoning was: I took the door of the stand out, and so airflow wasn't TOO obstructed, and I had a fan blowing in there. Well, when I had the chiller in my Solana stand, it got REALLY hot. Like a radiant heater. I thought this was normal. Now that the chiller is totally out in the open air (has 1 foot of space around it on all sides), it only gets warm to the touch. NEVER hot. So if any of you have your chiller in a stand, I emplore you to get it out and see what a difference this makes.

My chiller is working and looking like brand new again!

Yeah. chillers go through torture being in the stands. Now you should be able to drop down your temp about 1 degree every 5 minutes or so.

Archived