Top Shelf Aquatics

Podrod's 90g Peace-O-Reef

PodRod

After months of research, I’ve finally made all my equipment selections and everything is on order or already delivered. This will be my fifth tank but my first non-nano. The new tank, cabinet and lights have already been on order for 2 weeks and I still have 2 weeks of wait time before they arrive. I thought I’d use this time to seek advice on assembly since this is departure from a plug and play nano. This tank will be predominantly SPS. Here are my equipment selections:

Perfecto 90 gallon rimless with starfire glass on front/sides 48x18x24

Custom cabinet – rosewood stain

Aqua Illumination light fixture – 48 inch with 4 modules

ADHI 30 gallon sump/fuge w/light fixture

Vortech MP40

Reef Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer

Sicce Syncra 3.5 return pump – external

Tunze Osmolator for ATO

ACJR Controller – just don’t need an Apex

Bubble Magus BM-T01 doser

UPS and FedEx have been showing up daily and the drivers are even getting excited about my tank. I plan on taking some vacation time the first week of May to get the tank up and going - if the tank and lights arrive on time. Like I said, this is a new experience for me since I’ve always kept nano tanks in the past so I’m excited – and broke :o . Feedback, advice and words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool sounds good, the Reefkeeper L2 would prob work for you also.

Thanks for the advice. I'll research it today since my ACJR is still on order so I can always change it to another model.

YAY_Jessica.gif

You're too funny Weetie. The wait is killing me!!!!

Nice - will keep a watch on this :)

Thank you! I just checked out your thread and I really like the way your aquascape looks. I'm still trying to determine how much LR to add. I like a lot of rock but I want to allow plenty of swim room for the fish. Decisions, decisions....

Found it....and following ;)

Glad I'm local as it was always amazing seeing your previous tank(s) in person.

Blah blah blah!!! c0205.gif

Found it....and following ;)

Glad I'm local as it was always amazing seeing your previous tank(s) in person.

Hey Adam - You're welcome over anytime. Nothing new to report since I don't even have a tank yet :D . I'll be in Chicago next week and then I hope the tank, stand and lights arrive soon after. I'm getting antsy...

OH MY GOD omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

How did I miss this tank thread! This is going to fawkin deliver!

Oh and why, just why go with that skimmer?

OH MY GOD omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

How did I miss this tank thread! This is going to fawkin deliver!

Oh and why, just why go with that skimmer?

Oh no, what's wrong with the Octopus Extreme 160?

You're going to love having so much room! Sounds like quite the plan. Why not go with the Extreme 200, so you're good for the next upgrade.

You're going to love having so much room! Sounds like quite the plan. Why not go with the Extreme 200, so you're good for the next upgrade.

Thanks - I look forward to having the extra room! I would like to go with the Extreme 200 but I don't have the room in my sump :(

omg another totm coming soon! :D Your 34g Feb 2009 tank was amazing, can't wait to see what you do with this tank.

Subscribed!

Hey Rem! I don't think they let larger tanks in on the TOTM but my Feb 09 TOTM is my inspiration for this tank. I hope to have it looking just as nice or even better! We'll see how that goes....

Nothing's wrong with it, it's just I think you should use either the 200 or this.

Also this should be interesting for you to use.

Ok - I checked out the Octopus Extreme 200 and just don't have the room in my sump. Now the SWC Xtreme 160 would fit but I already have the Octopus Extreme 160 and the dealer that I purchased from does not carry SWC. So, is it really worth returning this one and purchasing SWC from another dealer - is there really that big of a difference?

Now, the SMR1 biopellet reactor? Yep, that got my attention. I purchased most of my equipment from Scott at Aquarium Specialty so I'll be picking his brain on that one. Thanks!!!

Now, the SMR1 biopellet reactor? Yep, that got my attention. I purchased most of my equipment from Scott at Aquarium Specialty so I'll be picking his brain on that one. Thanks!!!

I would just stick with what you have at this point Karen. Then again, I'm sure it's still in the box so it would be a pretty easy switch, just not sure what you would go with from Scott in that price range and size.

The biopellet reactor looks interesting indeed. I'm sure Scott will have plenty of info to share about it. It seems that he gets a lot of the newest technology toys sooner than others...great to have him in state.

-Adam

I really think that if you still have the skimmer in the box and all, you should return it and get the SWC. It would allow you to feed more and have more fish due to superior skimming.

Here's a thread that should help you.

airman_verde04

HURRAY!!!! welcome back Karen, just in time for me to move away and not see this awesomeness.. :( cant wait to see this via the net though..

HURRAY!!!! welcome back Karen, just in time for me to move away and not see this awesomeness.. :( cant wait to see this via the net though..

Moving away - where are you going? It's nice to be back but I'm still in limbo waiting for the tank to arrive. I hate to hear you're leaving the Charleston area but at least we still can connect via NR. Stay in touch!

airman_verde04
Moving away - where are you going? It's nice to be back but I'm still in limbo waiting for the tank to arrive. I hate to hear you're leaving the Charleston area but at least we still can connect via NR. Stay in touch!

Moving to Blacksburg, VA, college is calling, and so is civilian life. I'm actually sad so see... well, I'm sad that I WONT get to see your tank in person once it matures.. and of course arrives. Though I do know I have to come back down here in.... umm. 2 years? something about 5 year anniversary gift and a custom ring setting that is made by one of the jewelers downtown... yeah.. umm.. Marriage. hehe.

anyways, I cant wait to watch this tank via NR.. It will kill my free time once I'm un-employed starting this Fall.. :)

Weetabix7
Moving to Blacksburg, VA, college is calling, and so is civilian life. I'm actually sad so see... well, I'm sad that I WONT get to see your tank in person once it matures.. and of course arrives. Though I do know I have to come back down here in.... umm. 2 years? something about 5 year anniversary gift and a custom ring setting that is made by one of the jewelers downtown... yeah.. umm.. Marriage. hehe.

anyways, I cant wait to watch this tank via NR.. It will kill my free time once I'm un-employed starting this Fall.. :)

That's funny, you'll be right next door to my sister-in-law.

She used to live in Blacksburg, lives in Asheville now.

We visited her in Blacksburg, it's really beautiful there.

Archived