Cultivated Reef

Par38 in Solana disco ball

aklee987

Hey guys. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have a 34 gallon Solana with a "disco ball" MH. I'm thinking about switching to the Par38. Is there a way to modify the disco ball to fit the Par38? If so, would 60 degree optics be my best bet? Would I just need 1 bulb? The current MH is a Phoenix 14K 150watt hqi (I think).

I've read some negative things about the Par38 bulbs recently, and I have no interest in hearing them again, please refrain from posting those things in this thread.

well when you dont ask about the performance then dont worry about people saying negative things.

I dont see how someone will same something negative about "how can you stick a par38 in a disco ball"

Crackerballer
no, i'm putting par38's on mine. you need at least 3 for a decent look, i got 2 60* and 1 80*...

I was gonna suggest the same, you would need at least 3 for a Solana I think.

Hey guys. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have a 34 gallon Solana with a "disco ball" MH. I'm thinking about switching to the Par38. Is there a way to modify the disco ball to fit the Par38? If so, would 60 degree optics be my best bet? Would I just need 1 bulb? The current MH is a Phoenix 14K 150watt hqi (I think).

I've read some negative things about the Par38 bulbs recently, and I have no interest in hearing them again, please refrain from posting those things in this thread.

The PAR38's need good air circulation for proper cooling. Not sure they will get that enclosed in the "disco ball". Maybe if you had some fans inside the "disco ball" pointed at the PAR38's it would work.

3 or even 4 PAR38's would be needed to get good coverage. The height above the tank that you have the "disco ball" mounted will help determine which optics would work best. For example; 6" to 8", maybe 80 degree optics / 12" to 16", maybe 60 degree optics / higher that, maybe 40 degree optics would work best.

Check out the PAR Plots http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=221433

i would just email that chris guy at nanocustoms and see if they would custom CNC a new kit for the disco ball.

If he gets permission from Evil, he can work on it!!!

Chris

i would just email that chris guy at nanocustoms and see if they would custom CNC a new kit for the disco ball.

If he gets permission from Evil, he can work on it!!!

Chris

Thanks for all the help and ideas, guys. I suppose the prudent thing to do is go with this idea...

• 1 month later...

What did this idea end up with, aklee987? I am thinking the similar thing. I want to install 16-20 LED in that disco ball, not sure if it is feasible.

Thanks for all the help and ideas, guys. I suppose the prudent thing to do is go with this idea...

Archived