Top Shelf Aquatics

Weird SPS ID?

kmacattack13

kmacattack13

I got a tiny piece of a random sps for free at a small store in st. louis just before they closed. the guy who gave it to me had no idea what the exact type of sps it was - all he knew was that it grew like crazy. sure enough, a matter of a few months and my piece had EASILY grown 20 to 30 times its original size.

This is what i know so far..... it has a brownish color when all polyps (the very LONG polyps) are extended during the day and the skeleton has always had a white color. even the main piece from the store was solid white in the skeleton, but brown in polyp coloration. honestly, it's pretty ugly but cool. if anyone has any clue what this is, id be very appreciative.

Perhaps it's not as weird as I think it is, but my local reef buddies have never seen anything quite like it. Thanks everyone!

p4080051copy.jpg

img1199k.jpg

kmacattack13

well that was my immediate thought too. but i didnt think birdsnest had that much extension on polyps. structurally it looks just like birdsnest but the polyps were really throwin me off.

Yea it is def. a birdsnest. Mine does that sometimes, not all the time, but yea. Def a brownish birdsnest. Explains fast growing, shape, etc.

Oh maybe. How thick are the branches, I was thinking that they were like toothpick but it could be a poci, is it in low flow?

was it attached to a rock or a loose stick when you got it?

random but maybe if it was attached to a rock its more likeley to be pociliopora because they shoot out babies all the time but birdnest breaks easily when you touch it so if its loose could be birdsnest.

flow will also help answer the question

kmacattack13

each branch is maybe 1/8 of an inch in width. but when if you include with polyp extension it easily reaches a quarter of an inch. id say it sits in medium flow... and description of flow is all in the eye of the beholder but id say its definitely not in high flow.

^doctaq - haha hmmm thats actually a good question. it was completely unrecognizable as an SPS - or any type of coral for that matter - when i got it. it was literally just a tiny blotch of brown fuzz on a piece of rubble maybe the size of a dime. no structure or anything. the dude just tossed it in my bag and sent me on my way. never in a million years did i think this would have come from it

See when a coral is in high flow, it often grows thicker and stronger branches, and in flow the opposite since it doesn't need to hold up to the intense flow.

kmacattack13

cool. well thanks for the input from all of you. whatever it is, it's apparently thriving and is showing no sign of slowing down.

by the way, my tank thread has gotten very little love since i started it. feel free to check it out if you feel so inclined to do so. thanks again

Archived