Top Shelf Aquatics

Marc.The.Shark's 8 Gallon Nano-Tube

Marc.The.Shark

Marc.The.Shark

Well, had this in the lighting forum for a while until I worked out the lighting on my tank. That's all squared away now, so I figured I'd start a build thread here as I finish everything up and get it running.

A little background info: I bought this tank about 5 years ago and had it running for about a year and a half before I had to dismantle it because of time constraints. Everything was doing good, just didn't have the time to keep it up. The one thing that I had a problem with was the lighting. With the tank being round, I had a hard time getting the light intensity that I wanted. Couldn't go halide because of the heat issues in a closed hood, so i ended up putting three 20w coralife screw-ins in the hood. It was ok, and I had a couple of SPS pieces way up top right under the lights. But with the advent of LED's, I had a good reason to set this back up! Here are a couple of pic's of the tank back then....

FTS

tank001.jpg

tank002.jpg

Didn't Like all that equipment in the back of the tank either, so this time it will look a lot cleaner. Drilled the tank for a Gurgle Buster overflow. Space is an issue in the bottom of the stand, so I will be using an Algae Turf Scrubber as I just didn't have the real estate for a decent sump/fuge. I am still going to run the return/returns over the rim in the back, and the only other thing out the back will be 1 cord powering everything in the hood (Led's, Fans, Moonlight's).

Here We Go:

TANK SPEC'S:

-8 Gallon AquaRound tabletop aquarium by Midwest Tropical (12.25" L x 12.25" W x 21.5" H)

-Drilled for 3/4" bulkhead, bottom rear, Gurgle Buster overflow with 1" standpipe

-16" round x 30" high black stand (like the round display stands in furniture store's that they display lamps on, but this one opens up so I can get my equipment and algae scrubber under there).

-Approx 8 lbs. of rock I had in the tank before

-10" x 10" x 10" acrylic cube for Algae Scrubber, pump, heater, hopefully ATO if I have room

-SCWD for split returns, so no powerheads in the tank

-DIY LED array in hood

5 Cree XRE WG

4 Cree XRE RB

80 degree optics

Heatsink by Heatsink USA

2 x 40mm fans

Buckpucks mounted in hood w/pots

1 power cable and connector for everything in hood (I found an 8 pin microphone connector & cable)

Here are a few pics of the Hood modded with the LED's

hood1.jpghood2.jpg

hood3.jpgled04.jpg

led05.jpgled06.jpg

led02.jpg

I took the old rock from the tank and although I liked it the way it was before, I wanted something a little different, There were 2 original pieces, so I busted it up into 3 and made it so that I have a little more real estate on the sandbed and some more ledges to work with to mount frags (the standpipe in the pic will be painted black), here are a couple pics of that. Let me know what u think....

rock1.jpgrock3.jpg

Still waiting for some things to come in, pump, return loc-lines, acrylic cube for scrubber, but this is where I'm at so far. Input or suggestions are more than welcome.

Well, had this in the lighting forum for a while until I worked out the lighting on my tank. That's all squared away now, so I figured I'd start a build thread here as I finish everything up and get it running.

A little background info: I bought this tank about 5 years ago and had it running for about a year and a half before I had to dismantle it because of time constraints. Everything was doing good, just didn't have the time to keep it up. The one thing that I had a problem with was the lighting. With the tank being round, I had a hard time getting the light intensity that I wanted. Couldn't go halide because of the heat issues in a closed hood, so i ended up putting three 20w coralife screw-ins in the hood. It was ok, and I had a couple of SPS pieces way up top right under the lights. But with the advent of LED's, I had a good reason to set this back up! Here are a couple of pic's of the tank back then....

FTS

tank001.jpg

tank002.jpg

Didn't Like all that equipment in the back of the tank either, so this time it will look a lot cleaner. Drilled the tank for a Gurgle Buster overflow. Space is an issue in the bottom of the stand, so I will be using an Algae Turf Scrubber as I just didn't have the real estate for a decent sump/fuge. I am still going to run the return/returns over the rim in the back, and the only other thing out the back will be 1 cord powering everything in the hood (Led's, Fans, Moonlight's).

Here We Go:

TANK SPEC'S:

-8 Gallon AquaRound tabletop aquarium by Midwest Tropical (12.25" L x 12.25" W x 21.5" H)

-Drilled for 3/4" bulkhead, bottom rear, Gurgle Buster overflow with 1" standpipe

-16" round x 30" high black stand (like the round display stands in furniture store's that they display lamps on, but this one opens up so I can get my equipment and algae scrubber under there).

-Approx 8 lbs. of rock I had in the tank before

-10" x 10" x 10" acrylic cube for Algae Scrubber, pump, heater, hopefully ATO if I have room

-SCWD for split returns, so no powerheads in the tank

-DIY LED array in hood

5 Cree XRE WG

4 Cree XRE RB

80 degree optics

Heatsink by Heatsink USA

2 x 40mm fans

Buckpucks mounted in hood w/pots

1 power cable and connector for everything in hood (I found an 8 pin microphone connector & cable)

Here are a few pics of the Hood modded with the LED's

hood1.jpghood2.jpg

hood3.jpgled04.jpg

led05.jpgled06.jpg

led02.jpg

I took the old rock from the tank and although I liked it the way it was before, I wanted something a little different, There were 2 original pieces, so I busted it up into 3 and made it so that I have a little more real estate on the sandbed and some more ledges to work with to mount frags (the standpipe in the pic will be painted black), here are a couple pics of that. Let me know what u think....

rock1.jpgrock3.jpg

Still waiting for some things to come in, pump, return loc-lines, acrylic cube for scrubber, but this is where I'm at so far. Input or suggestions are more than welcome.

Looks cool. How long was your initial cycle?

Marc.The.Shark
Looks cool. How long was your initial cycle?

No water in the tank yet, the first couple of pics were from a few years ago

Sharp looking tank Marc!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, my camera broke, the smaller pics are taken from my cellphone. And I have the choice of a new camera or a Reefkeeper Lite, soooo, looks like you're gonna have to deal with the small pics for now..lolol :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived