Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MH bulb changing color slightly

Bill Nye

I just hooked up my MH again and noticed that after running it for a while it would change its color a little then switch back. Does this mean my bulb is shot or ballast? My bulb is pretty old I think so im hoping its this..too bad they dont make 14k astralux bulbs anymore...or at least that I can find.

Do you mean it changes colors while warming up?

That's normal.

Or it randomly changes color during operation?

Im pretty sure I noticed it changing slightly during operation. The bulb is pretty old but I want to make sure its the bulb before I buy a new one in case its the ballast.

Well if your bulb is old replace it!!! They dont last forever lol and you gotta buy a new bulb anyways. Try that first and plus im sure its cheaper than a ballast.

Well if your bulb is old replace it!!! They dont last forever lol and you gotta buy a new bulb anyways. Try that first and plus im sure its cheaper than a ballast.

LOL! I literally just put live rock and live sand in the tank and turned my MH on to make sure it was all in working order haha. I was planning on ordering an Ushio 20k but I hear that 20k is super bad for coral growth so I may bite the bullet and go 14k or 10k. I have an Astralux 14k but I guess they dont make those bulbs anymore.(really liked the Astralux from what I can remember)

I just wanted to see peoples opinions cause I would probably upgrade to 150w or LED if the ballast is done so I dont want to buy another 70 w bulb for nothing.

Thanks for the response though.

20k is not bad for coral growth. People have faster coral growth under 14k than a 20k bulb. I would not go with a 10k. I have seen 10k bulbs at my LFS and it was yellow! But if you like that than go for it. I dont know much about ballast and how to tell if its bad. I think you are just seeing things :P

i have the 14k ushio and it's too yellow for me... get the 20k or go with a 14k phoenix

Would love to pick up a 14k phoenix...if only they made them in 70 watt :angry:

Archived