Top Shelf Aquatics

Canon camera decision

steely185

So I went out and got myself a new job and decided to treat myself. I was debating on going with a new camera and lens or an APEX controller setup. I think I've narrowed it down and decided to take the plunge and buy myself a nice camera. I've been doing a bit of reading and decided that the Canon EOS Rebel T2i kit (camera and single lens) sounds like the best bang for my buck. I also plan to purchase the Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro lens.

My question to you is: Would I be better to pick a different macro lens? I'm not so concerned with the standard lens that comes with the camera since I will eventually upgrade that lens.

no..when it comes to the Sigma 105, Tokina 100, tamron 90, Canon 100..You would never be able to tell the apart from IQ, just a different feel to use of each one..Everyone of them are highly regarded as very good macro lenses.

well the 150 offers you a larger working distance..dont have to get as close to things, limit switch to have the AF only focus in a certain range to make it focus faster, USM focus motor so its dead silent to focus. but it is also MUCH more expensive then the 105. Also the 150 is larger and heavier then the 105 making it a little harder to get use to handhold macro shooting with it. Compared to a smaller lighter 105.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with the sigma 105mm macro. I picked it up off of ebay for a little over $300. Not a bad deal. Only down side is that the lens and bag it came with smell like they smoked two packs a day. Lens works great though and was in great shape. I posted some pics with it in my 20H thread.

Archived