inTank Media Baskets

Fish & Coral Chowder Anyone?

Marine1

ARG!!!!! I woke up this morning to a tank temp of 92F. Did immediate water change put a large ziplock of ice in tank and I have a medium fan blowing on the water. Dog gone heater!!!!!! So far I lost my Flame Angel and my cleaner shrimp. Everything else although stressed seems like they may pull through. Man those clowns are tough fish!

Anyone have this happen to them? If so, did your tank recover? I would love to hear stories. I am so frustrated right now.

I had a heater malfunction several months ago and my tank got up to 89 degrees. Figured it out after getting home from work and had to move a coral and noticed that my tank was really warm. I unplugged the heater and turned off the lights and let it cool naturally. Took about 8 hours for the tank to get back to 79 degrees. The next morning I did a 20% water change and I was really fortunate that I didn't lose anything. Not even a hermit crab... From now on I'm going to replace my heaters every year to year and a half.. Good luck and sorry to hear that you lost your Flame and shrimp. Hope everything else pulls through

crap ! :o i hope everything makes it. of course you want to cool it down, but i wonder if its dangerous to cool it down too fast, ya know?

only experiece I have is all my goldfish dying last summer b/c 80 degrees was too warm for them in the house, thats why I switched to saltwater !!

crap ! :o i hope everything makes it. of course you want to cool it down, but i wonder if its dangerous to cool it down too fast, ya know?

only experiece I have is all my goldfish dying last summer b/c 80 degrees was too warm for them in the house, thats why I switched to saltwater !!

LOL I switched to saltwater from fresh because my fish kept dying. Who said saltwater is harder :lol:

If it ever happens again... I would definitely let it cool down slowly.. You'll notice that the temp correlates to a lot of other factors including salinity. Rapid cooling will also rapidly change the salinity, which could shock your system.. Hope everything recovers...

mbarton2010

my fan went out last night. i just got home and my tank was at 86. just got a new fan blowin on it. Everything was just fine though

Thanks Reefer 916 for heads up. I tested the salinity a couple of times since I finished bringing the temp down and it reads normal on the refractometer. I panicked when I saw 92 degrees and tried to cool it back to 80 as fast as possible, because I didn't want any more deaths. We'll see how it goes in the next couple of days.

Thanks for the input/stories everyone. Makes me feel better. Now my tank is real cloudy. I'll have to do another water change tomorrow. :scarry:

JayEeeTeeEss

Semi hijack but marine1 could probably use the info:

i'm getting worried about a malfunction after recently reading other threads as well as this one about this topic. Can anyone recommend a trusty heater for a 29 gallon BC? Sorry for the losses marine1... i hope everything pans out.

My heater stopped working last week and it dropped to 70, my clown jumped and my watchmen goby died. Everything else is ok tho.

Update/question:

Well this morning my Frog Spawn is looking real bad, if not, dead. Has anyone had any experience with these guys making a comeback or is it too far gone???

0417101044-01.jpg

This is how it looked a couple of days ago:

FTIII.jpg

Archived