Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

All my fish are dead!

Fu Man Chu

I lost all 4 of my fish in two days. Temp is good, all test are perfect! Did them 3 times. All the test! I think I found the rub. My hydrometer reads at 1.023. I used a 2nd meter and it reads 1.025-1.026. Would that kill the fish? My snails and crabs are still ok (i hope).

It is a 34g tank up for 5 mounts. Had 3 damsels and a very small frogfish.

No, that salinity would not kill them. I run all of my tanks around 1.026.

Spray Febreze anywhere near the tank recently?

By anywhere near the tank I mean even in the same room?

Switch food recently? How long have you had the fish for?

Yep, I dont even own the stuff. I have been feeding same food from start. Only thing I did was add the frogfish 17 days ago. And feed him 6 ghost shrimp. I dont know if he ever found them. Just put em in and hoped he would hunt them down.

Yes and run all test two more times to see if I missed something.

Could the ghost shrimp if not eaten rot and kill every thing? What would spike in water?

those shrimp are freshwater shrimp are very sensitive to salinity changes they are probably what has died ad fouled your tank

Sounds like a pH problem. You said the test were perfect...

Which tests are you using?

What is the approximate pH reading?

What time did the fish die? Early morning or during the day?

I use the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit from F&S. Ph is 8.2. I think all fish died at night.

Hmm... Well I can relate to fish dying because of very low pH in the morning. IME the fish would be extremely stressed and gasping. Unfortunately they kicked the bucket before I could move them to another tank or get the pH in check.

Test your water again tomorrow morning and see how low the pH is. If the reading is near 7.4 then that's a definite killer.

pismo_reefer

You MORE THAN LIKELY introduced a foreign contaminent when you put yer hands in the water....

Wash up like it's surgery EVERY TIME yer gonna go "hands-on"...

;)

Hard to say what could have killed them in a few days. It has to be something going on with your water. I would take a water sample to your LFS to have them double check your water. Like the other guys said it could also be if you had any kind of chemical on your hand without rinsing thoroughly before putting your hands in the tank. Hard to say, but sucks to lose your animals and not know what killed them

pismo_reefer
If the reading is near 7.4 then that's a definite killer.

Not true.

Unless, of course, you had weak fish to begin with....

I don't think it was my hands. I never put them in the tank. When I clean filter I use a natural soap before I touch tank. I use long wood chop sticks to pick anything up out of tank. Its possible I know, but I try to take every precaution.

lakshwadeep

Where any of damsels missing? Frogfish have no sense of "proportions" when it comes to what they will attempt to eat; they can swallow things larger than they can digest, causing them to die because the food decomposes to quickly.

Confirm your tests with your LFS. I found the hard way, loss of all fish that my tests had gone bad. Not all tests in my case it was alk. I tested 9 my LFS 1. Allowing for Ph spikes and other bad stuff. Now I date when I purchase the test. And will get new within a year. Thanks to my LFS and people here on NR. Good luck to you

My mandarin live in 1.25 and sometimes it got to 1.27 and he's in perfect health. That will not kill a fish no.

maybe parasites, or some bacterial disease, hard to tell. also some fish are captured using cyanide and this is a slow poison that will kill them over a month or 2. So the fish seem to be doing fine and them just end up dead for no reason.

I lost all 4 of my fish in two days. Temp is good, all test are perfect! Did them 3 times. All the test! I think I found the rub. My hydrometer reads at 1.023. I used a 2nd meter and it reads 1.025-1.026. Would that kill the fish? My snails and crabs are still ok (i hope).

It is a 34g tank up for 5 mounts. Had 3 damsels and a very small frogfish.

Learning2Reef

Is your frog fish still alive? If so, I'm guessing he ate the damsels. You're not losing much in the big scheme of things because damsels can get mean as hell :).

However, if your frog fish is the only thing left aside from your CUC. He probably got hungry and ate your fish .. mwahhahah

My mandarin live in 1.25 and sometimes it got to 1.27 and he's in perfect health. That will not kill a fish no.

maybe parasites, or some bacterial disease, hard to tell. also some fish are captured using cyanide and this is a slow poison that will kill them over a month or 2. So the fish seem to be doing fine and them just end up dead for no reason.

Chances are, his damsels weren't cyanide captured.

Archived