SaltCritters.com

Gaffer's Fluval Edge

Gaffer

So I have been out of the fish scene for about 18 years and always prefered the SW side. When it was time to set up a small tank with my son I figured I would try to get into a small SW set up. What I did not know was how things had evolved in those 18 years. I was blow away to see the things that people were doing with small tanks and the new technology/products and livestock that were available.

I opted for a Fluval Edge, just because it is such a neat looking tank, and being able to see from the top down was a cool feature.

Of course the stock halogen lighting was not suitable for much of anything. I gutted the arm that the lights were mounted on and rigged up a fixture with 2 Coralife 50/50 CFL bulbs.

dsc_0125-0.jpg?r=t

This is the tank as it sits in our family room

dsc_0126-0.jpg?r=t

After it cycled, livestock were needed. Try to explain to a 3 year old where there are no fish in the fish tank for a month.

So far the tank is pretty overstocked with

Pair of Oc. clowns

Yellow Goby

3 hermits

3 snails

2 Sexy shrimp

small GBTA

Frogspawn frags

2 GSP frags

Sun coral frags

Zoas

some button polyps

some very small xenia heads

Tank has about 6-7 lbs. of LR and everyone seems to be pretty happy so far.

I have also added a blue LED strip to the light box for moon light. Short term plans are to build a switch box so that each light can be controled individually.

More zoas and other finds will be added as I find them.

Long term plans include a LED array for lighting.

I am already in negotiation with my wife about a larger tank, but so far this one has been a lot of fun.

Here are some other shots. Comments, thoughts & questions are welcome.

Gaffer

dsc_0133-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0160-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0180-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0183-0.jpg?r=t

dsc_0190-0.jpg?r=t

Thats a really good looking tank! Im really excited to get mine back up and running (redoing my LED array). How are the clowns getting along and with the YWG? Where in town are you getting most of your livestock?

Very pretty little edge and yeah, way overstocked :D The GBTA i think is a bit much and may prefer more light sooner the better :)

Very very pretty setup though, props.

Thats a really good looking tank! Im really excited to get mine back up and running (redoing my LED array). How are the clowns getting along and with the YWG? Where in town are you getting most of your livestock?

Thanks for the comments guys. I know it is overstocked, and I am bad about adding more stuff, but I am in the midst of planning another larger tank, and will move some of that over to that tank.

The clowns get along fine with the Yellow Goby.

BlindSet: I have been using a couple of places to purchase livestock in Calgary

Ocean City - Cured Live Rock. This is by far the cleanest shop I have been in. They also have nice livestock.

Red Coral - Zoas, Torch Coral (RIP), Kevin has great frags at good prices.

Gold's - Small perc., Yellow Goby. Great shop, nice stock good service

Canreef.com BST - GBTA, GSP, larger Oc. clown ($5), Zoas, Xenia, Sexy Shrimp, Fragspawn

I dont buy livestock at Pisces Pets, but they cant really bne beat for thier prices on thier hardware, althought the Korelia Nano was about $8 cheaper at Ocean City. I have also bought some hardware at Big Al's, but that was because they were the only ones that had the Coralife 50/50s that I was looking for.

Where do you buy your LED gear. I have a variable power supplt that I was going to use with another project and I am wondering if I can use it with some LEDs for my Edge.

Hurry up and get that LED array done, I want to see it as I need more light in there.

Andrew

Ya sorry its taken so long to get this thing up and running. I finally finished (again) tonight and will be doing a water change, at which point I will move the tank its resting place. Unfortunately I am camera-less right now but if you check out my other post you will see what it will look like.

I have checked out a few of those places and really like Red Coral and Gold's cant wait to get some more livestock! hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

I got most of my LED supplies from, well, ledsupply.com cost me about $100 with 8 LED's and two 1mA drivers, then I got the heatsink from Heatsink USA, and finally the voltage converter from Ebay, some guy in Vancouver was selling it for $30. I hightly recommend this method if you have the time and budget, it looks awesome! And will really put the light out for all your corals.

Anyway, Ill try and get some photos on here as soon as I buy my new cam.

Cool,

I spent the day at work planning out the LED array that I am hoping to build as I don think that I am getting enough light from the 50/50s.

I am hoping to order the cree LEDs from Eecol in Calgary. They would be wholesale so hopefully the price will be a bit better than what I find online. I'll have to see otherwise I'll order online.

I plan to run a 12 LED array with 6 cool white and 6 royal blue XR-E emitters. I am not sure if I will drive them with dimable buck pucks, or meanwell dimable drivers. I like the idea of dimable with such a small tank.

I think that I may just order this kit and be done with it DIY LED kit. That way I know that all the parts are compatible.

I was thinking that it would be neat to take out the mesh from the lid and replace it from with the heatsink.

Are you planning on running optics on the LEDs? I am not sure how far to space the LEDs out to get good overlap, while getting the best coverage in the tank.

Keep me in the loop with the build.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

ive tried about 4 different types of LEDs off of ebay, even cree that are suposedly "super bright" but with the design of the lid its still not possible to get the appropriate spread and there will be dark spots, it sux cause the look od the fluval is really slick and nice, but i broke down and bought a 20" 50/50 PC to hang over it, dosent ruin the look to much and there no dark spots and the coral and shrooms seem to be growing alot faster and everything seems happier.,....

post-53335-1276622344_thumb.jpg

ive tried about 4 different types of LEDs off of ebay, even cree that are suposedly "super bright" but with the design of the lid its still not possible to get the appropriate spread and there will be dark spots, it sux cause the look od the fluval is really slick and nice, but i broke down and bought a 20" 50/50 PC to hang over it, dosent ruin the look to much and there no dark spots and the coral and shrooms seem to be growing alot faster and everything seems happier.,....

Yes the lid is the real challenge with the Edge.

My stuff from LED Supply arrived today so hopefully the can get the upgrade underway.

I am going to try and put the lights at the water surface to get past the lid of the tank. Either that or use some reflector to get the light to the margins of the tank.

Andrew

I don't have an edge, but I feel like it would be pretty cool if you could make like a case out of acrylic for the lights that can be low enough to actually be slightly in the water. With the LEDs below the surface you could get great coverage. Maybe you can put optics on only the inner LEDs and have no optics on the outer ones which would also give you more coverage. .

looking good man!!!!

tank looks awsome!!!!

how much u get get the new 50/50 light fix for?

I made the light fixture myself but here is a breakdown of what I did.

I took some ceramic lamp holder from an old ceiling lamp I had and wired them to a lamp corad with a switch in it and wired it all together. I made a lense/spalch guard from some acrylic. The lamp holders are attached to the lense by siliconing some angle brackets to the lense. I also used a peice to corrugated plastic to seperate it from the main area oif the housing to prevent too much moisture.

The whole thing is stuffed into the lid and attached in there with some tape. From the beginning this was going to be a temporary job so I did not make it too pretty.

My LED part arrived last night so I am going to get that underway. I am looking for the perfect container to use to house the lights at the water line, but I am not having much luck finding what I need. I think I may have to break down and make it out of glass or acrylic.

Hopefully I can get to it soon, but we are in the middle of a huge yard reno (500sq.ft concrete patio, fence, garden beds and landscang) so by the time I get to fish stuff I am already beat.

I will post a DIY when I do it though.

Andrew

I don't have an edge, but I feel like it would be pretty cool if you could make like a case out of acrylic for the lights that can be low enough to actually be slightly in the water. With the LEDs below the surface you could get great coverage. Maybe you can put optics on only the inner LEDs and have no optics on the outer ones which would also give you more coverage. .

So I tried the light in the water theory, EPIC FAIL. I built a box out of acrylic to put near the water surface and all it did was enhance the spotlight effect of the LEDs.

I am going back to plan A and making a reflector out of some acrylic mirror that I have in the hopes that I can get the light to bounce out the edges of the tank.

Wish me luck

how is the bubble tip doing in the edgE?

It is doing fine. It has split once and looks like it will do so again. After it splits it doubles in size in about a month. When it is ay its normal state the base is about the diameter of a golf ball. I feed it a peice of table scallop ever 2 days when I feed my corals. I think the key to keeping my Edge healthy is water changes every 2-3 days. I replace 3.79 litres (1 US gallon) at a time. I have mixed SW on hand for my other tanks so it is pretty easy.

I would like to get a RBTA and move my GBTA to another tank, but the GBTA is happy so I dont think I will mess with it.

Andrew

Archived