Coral Vue Hydros

Tennessee Aquarium

bhskicker18

bhskicker18

So today my family and I went to the Tennessee Aquarium (2nd time we have ever been) and in the Marine Adventure (if thats the name of it), where you can pet the sting rays and sharks, there were tangs! I saw several Yellow, Pacific Blue, Powder Blue, Clown, Sail Fin, and another tang that looks like the Powder Blue Tang but is a brownish color. The tangs had there "scapels" still on there tail and the TN Aquarium has them them displayed in a hands-on exhibit where you can pet Sharks that don't bite, and Sting Rays that have there barbs removed! In my opinion they don't need to display a tang in an hands-on exhibit when you are told nothing in the tank can hurt you. But thats my .02 worth lol

bhskicker18

In my opinion I don't think that the tangs should be in there because they can hurt you. They still have there spines at the base of there tail, unlike the sting rays that have there spines removed and are "safe" to touch. If you were a parent and your kid touched a sting ray and liked it, then sees a bright yellow fish and decides to touch it too but gets swipped by the tail, what would you do? I think the tangs need to be removed for GUEST SAFETY. But again, thats just my 0.02 cents worth

I encourage you to try and grab a tang, just try. It takes a very agressive or well trained tang to ever hope to touch one. However sharks that don't bite usually don't make it very far, this is not NEMO.

tangs are usually no issue, i've got one in a 75g, hand feed it and every once and a while it tail swipes me but its extremely difficult to get hit by the spine. i've even harassed my tang to try and get tail swiped and stung but never happened ( i've had the tang for over 4 years).

i used to work at an aquarium and there's more danger in falling into the touchpools than there is from the inhabitants. anemonies are a different story, i've seen a few people have allergic reactions to anemone stings in one of the aquarium's touch pools.

carbon-mantis

How did the tangs look? Last time I was there, maybe three years ago, all of them had horrible HLLE. I did get to see a shark rip apart an atlantic blue though, that was a sight and a half...

bhskicker18
How did the tangs look? Last time I was there, maybe three years ago, all of them had horrible HLLE. I did get to see a shark rip apart an atlantic blue though, that was a sight and a half...

How did the tangs look? HORRIBLE! They were extremely slow moving, and all but maybe 3 had fin rot. I'll tell you how slow they were.. My dad has an underwater camera and he was getting right up to them (underwater) and was taking pictures of them! I love the aquarium, don't get me wrong, but they need to atleast keep healthy fish. Numerous marine fish, as well as afew fresh water fish were sick. I know they have over 5,000 fish there, but they need to keep them healthy. And it was all the expensive fish too. But the Gulf of Mexico Tank in River Adventure is pretty sweet! So is the big salt water tank in the Marine Adventure! The reef tank was neat too.

Archived