Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cleaner shrimp dead confusion

05XRunner

Ok so i dont get what the deal is..I bought a cleaner shrimp on Sunday..it didnt do crap in the tank but it walked around some and it died yesterday...so i went and got another..it died about 2min after it went in the tank..tried again tonight and died about 1hr later..I put them in like I have any other cleaner shrimp or invert I have in the past..float it..add a little cup of water a few times over a small period of time then in to the water...never had an issue before with this. hell the snails i bought lastnight i just pulled them out and tossed them in..they are doin fine..all my hermits are perfectly fine, my fish are perfectly fine. All my stuff is at 0 and Ph around 8.2

I used Distilled water I bought to fill the tank..and my RO unit has all new filters and membrane from Bulk reef I replaced yesterday. tank has never seen tap water bought all my Di water till i got my RO unit up. My frogspawn and the acan I bought tonight are perfectly fine as well. so i am at a loss as to what the shrimp deal is. Everything is 100% healthy except the shrimp problem

Deleted User 6

you get them all from the same store? maybe try a different store.

also, for a shrimp to die so quickly, it does seem like something went wrong in acclimating. temp, ph, salinity...something.

yea all from same store..I dont know..for 3 of them too kick it...and its same way i have ever acclimated any inverts. Hell I use to only float for 10min and drop them in and never had a problem.

temp is 82 cause its warm here now..salinity is 35ppt on my refractometer

Deleted User 6

get a test of the store's water. it might be way off from yours which would mean you would need more acclimation.

like, if they keep their salinity at 1.021 and yours is at 1.026, that's a dangerous jump for an invert.

get a test of the store's water. it might be way off from yours which would mean you would need more acclimation.

but the snails came from the same tank as the shrimp..and I just checked them in and they are perfectly fine.

Deleted User 6

snails have always been hardier for me than shrimp. most common snails are intertidal, meaning they live in environments when the water parameters change dramatically and quickly. cleaner shrimp live in more stable environs.

it's possible there's some chemical in your tank, but given that everything else is fine and the shrimp die so quickly, i'm at a loss other than acclimation.

only thing that has gone into my tank chemical is my salt..I am not dosing anything.

I dont know if the lemon peel is causing it either..everytime I put one it..it will go and attack it and then it will shove its butt in the shrimps face that it wants cleaned and keeps doing it..dont know if this is causing to much stress on these shrimp and they are dying from it

OClownsandNanos

like, if they keep their salinity at 1.021 and yours is at 1.026, that's a dangerous jump for an invert.

+1 At least one of my LFS keeps their sg really really low, lower than 1.020. I keep my tank at 1.026. I make sure I drip acclimate those guys and keep an eye on s.g. in the acclimation bucket so I know when it's time to put them in. Haven't lost a shrimp yet.

• 1 month later...
Ok so i dont get what the deal is..I bought a cleaner shrimp on Sunday..it didnt do crap in the tank but it walked around some and it died yesterday...so i went and got another..it died about 2min after it went in the tank..tried again tonight and died about 1hr later..I put them in like I have any other cleaner shrimp or invert I have in the past..float it..add a little cup of water a few times over a small period of time then in to the water...never had an issue before with this. hell the snails i bought lastnight i just pulled them out and tossed them in..they are doin fine..all my hermits are perfectly fine, my fish are perfectly fine. All my stuff is at 0 and Ph around 8.2

I used Distilled water I bought to fill the tank..and my RO unit has all new filters and membrane from Bulk reef I replaced yesterday. tank has never seen tap water bought all my Di water till i got my RO unit up. My frogspawn and the acan I bought tonight are perfectly fine as well. so i am at a loss as to what the shrimp deal is. Everything is 100% healthy except the shrimp problem

dude the same #### happen to me!!!! I lost 2 fire shrimp and 1 cleaner! all 3 the same way the 3 of yours died! i was really upset and pissed at the fact i lost like 80 bucks on just shrimp. anyways i the 2nd time my shrimp died i got a water test done everything was fine nitrate was at .5 but lfs said not enough to kill them they said it was my aclimtion which i was doin right did the drip method all 3 time and all for 1hr plus times! so i went and got a peppermint shrimp did a quick aclimation and tosst his ass in, did just fine for a week took him back got a claener he died about 10 min after i put him in! -_- god damn

^^^ this is what I came here to say. If your LFS keeps 1.025 sg and so do you, then you could do a super quick acclimation. If it is as different as 1.021 and 1.026 (like DHaut's example) you will need to spend a lot more time on the acclimation. Some inverts are more sensitive to changes in SG.

Good luck

danthenewreefman
^^^ this is what I came here to say. If your LFS keeps 1.025 sg and so do you, then you could do a super quick acclimation. If it is as different as 1.021 and 1.026 (like DHaut's example) you will need to spend a lot more time on the acclimation. Some inverts are more sensitive to changes in SG.

Good luck

drip it and they should live, or you've got other problems.

Trogdor447

The salinity may be way off like stated before.. however they may tell you what the level is at.. take some of your own water and have them test it with the same in front of you.. Yours may be way off and his may be way off as well.

Archived