Pod Your Reef

5G Sps dominated pico

FuEl

when you are willing to do that each day the tank can get away with a lot! nice approach, keeping fish in a 5 is tough long term but the lack of algae on the glass and in the cracks of the substrate says the daily changes are working

Hi Brandon, there is algae. Just that I do clean the glass quite often. I'm still trying to find the right dosage for ultra min S and ultra bak in such a small tank. Currently still deciding between dosing every day or every 2-3 days. The less frequent dosage does seem to give less issues with algae. There is some brush algae which I am battling, does'nt seem affected by nutrient levels. Nothing has expressed interest in eating these as yet, not even hermit crabs or sea urchins. If the algae does take over the whole rock I might have to transplant the corals to a new rock.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the tank and the BB look.

Your tank and the others like it are inspirations.

Thanks for the kind words, The BB was the best decision I made for this tank. The tank would probably be a nutrient sink if I had put a sandbed. The amount of detritus produced by this tank on a daily basis is just surprising.

• 3 weeks later...

New FTS after skimmer removal. Added some frogspawn frags to add some vibrance and movement. Added a small diadema urchin that will hopefully handle some of the problematic algae which the tuxedo urchins don't touch.

Seriously considering one more spotlight to brighten up the middle. That area gets morning sun though.

img7043l.jpg

SICK tank, and what a collection of corals great job.

Thanks. It's amazing what daily water changes can do for a tank. I change 2L of water everyday, along with siphoning of the detritus that accumulates every 24 hours. I'm still on the hunt for a small sun coral colony, maybe just 5-6 polyps which I could plant somewhere. That should complete the picture more or less.

• 3 weeks later...

Added a small 1" dendronephthya.

I will be feeding it live microalgae (Phycopure).

I was thinking since live microalgae has been known to maintain good water quality for marine larviculture, could'nt a daily supply of microalgae into a skimmerless tank help to maintain water quality? Microalgae has been known to utilize nitrates & phosphates.

Let's see how it goes..Bio-remediation of nutrients using live microalgae! B)

• 1 month later...

2 months into skimmerless and daily dosings of live phytoplankton (Phycopure). Continuing ultralith system.

img7338l.jpg

img7339q.jpg

Favourite Tenuis.

img7332v.jpg

Stag almost hitting the water surface.

img7314q.jpg

amazing tank you have there. how long were you able to keep panda gobys? i havent heard of any long term sucess really only about a month or two tops.

Wow gorgeous tank!

Did you get the urchin to eat that "brush algae"?

Yes I got the urchin to eat the brush algae but I think nothing really eats it. Worst case I have to transplant the corals onto another piece of liverock.

Not much luck with the panda gobies, think they should be really left in the wild.

Mr. Microscope

Holy growth!!! I can't believe how big that green birdsnest has gotten.

Breath-taking tank! Keep it up!

Seamonkey84

what is in made of? I want a glass or acrylic tank like that but the only thing I can find is petcos bookshelf tank made of plastic.

You have enlightened my dreams of having a sps dominate 5.5. The tank is GORGEOUS man. Especially for a 5.5 !!!!!!!

I see you're using LED's,how do you think they would do under 70w mh ? I just got one not that long ago for my new tank I had to set up,due to my gf moving in and taking over my closet soon and water from my AC20 shooting out the back corner of the filter down the wall,into the socket EVERYTHING was pulled into..

Because I have a ORA birdsnest who was doing good with 72w T5,and when I put it under the new light,its pretty much has grown 4 new stubby little branches over the past 3 weeks,and 3 water changes. And my monti has about 1-2mm+ of growth in like almost 2 weeks. I just got a red poci and the other day for $5,Im going to see how that does as well.

Im dosing Ocean Blend ( I believe its called ),about 3.5 ml a day,and topping off water with about a 1/4 of water a day,and 35%-50% water changed every week and a half. No fish,just a blue leg hermit and a emerald crab and some hitchhiker snails,what my chances of keeping acro's and millies ?!

You have enlightened my dreams of having a sps dominate 5.5. The tank is GORGEOUS man. Especially for a 5.5 !!!!!!!

I see you're using LED's,how do you think they would do under 70w mh ? I just got one not that long ago for my new tank I had to set up,due to my gf moving in and taking over my closet soon and water from my AC20 shooting out the back corner of the filter down the wall,into the socket EVERYTHING was pulled into..

Because I have a ORA birdsnest who was doing good with 72w T5,and when I put it under the new light,its pretty much has grown 4 new stubby little branches over the past 3 weeks,and 3 water changes. And my monti has about 1-2mm+ of growth in like almost 2 weeks. I just got a red poci and the other day for $5,Im going to see how that does as well.

Im dosing Ocean Blend ( I believe its called ),about 3.5 ml a day,and topping off water with about a 1/4 of water a day,and 35%-50% water changed every week and a half. No fish,just a blue leg hermit and a emerald crab and some hitchhiker snails,what my chances of keeping acro's and millies ?!

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments. I believe you can keep acros and milleporas as long as water parameters are kept stable. Mainly temperature, Ca, kH, pH, salinity. I believe my success has been greatly due to a properly tuned dosing pump. I just could not keep up the demand via manual dosings.

A 70W MH should work. I opted for LEDs as I live in a tropical region and the warmer months can cause my water temperatures to hit up to 29.5 degrees celcius. I do not run a chiller as well. So far the corals have adapted to this occassional temperature spike. As long as temperatures do not rise above 29.5 I do not get worried too much.

Not a problem.

Yeah,thats pretty much the key. I could see manual dosing,being pretty hard to keep up with when you have a pic ALL sps tank hahaha. I have never had a problem with the temp because our house stays cold pretty much all year long ( thanks to living in Florida ). Without a fan or anything it can sometimes reach 80 but thats sometimes. I rigged up 2 computer tans,with a tiny power supply,and it keeps the tank at about 76-78.

And my salinity is always at 1.23-1.24,which I believe is good.

And I still need a nice little powerhead,and some test kits then I should be good.

• 2 months later...

Some updates. Currently 6 months after I removed the skimmer. Daily 2L water changes and siphoning of detritus is sufficient to keep nutrient levels in check.

Top shot of left side. One of the blue LEDS blew, the corals are browning a little due to spectrum shift.

img7433u.jpg

Right side a little better due to more blue spectrum. Some slight STN due to neglect during Aquarama in Singapore last month.

img7406we.jpg

img7404oa.jpg

wildmanzeke

awesome tank. I'm actually doing something simular to this. I am stuck on something though. Weather or not to use a AC70 and do a refuge and some matrix and phosex or chemipure with no skimmer. or skimmer and AC70 with just matrix and phos removing media. or skimmer and refuge and matrix, phos. I would be doing weekly 20% water changes and no fish. what do you think would be best?

awesome tank. I'm actually doing something simular to this. I am stuck on something though. Weather or not to use a AC70 and do a refuge and some matrix and phosex or chemipure with no skimmer. or skimmer and AC70 with just matrix and phos removing media. or skimmer and refuge and matrix, phos. I would be doing weekly 20% water changes and no fish. what do you think would be best?

Hmmm not too sure what AC70 is. If you have no fish I do not really think a skimmer is necessary. The only filtration I use are biohome and some zeolites. My tank has about 5-6 fishes in it. :happy:

Archived