inTank Media Baskets

Refuge for 10 Gallon tank....opinions?

Dwankmuller

Dwankmuller

Hey guys,

Right now I have an AC30 running on my 10 Gallon tank with just some filterfloss in it to get floating crap outa my tank. But im thinking about upgrading it into a refuge. I also have an AC40 sitting around, assuming the AC30 is too small...Now for the questions.

My tank is 10 Gal, 10lb Live rock, 10 lb live Sand, 8 snails, Will have 2 clowns when I get fish. (Just so you get an idea of the bioload)

1.) Do I really need a fuge?

2.) AC30 or AC40? Or are both too small?

3.) Could I stick a ball of chaeto in one of these for my tank? Or are they too small, and therefore would not do anything?

4.) I already have some snails and corals in my tank, would it be OK to add this now? Or will it cause an imbalance and kill what is already in my tank?

Any info would be great! thanks in advance!

Dave

1.) Do I really need a fuge?
Nope

2.) AC30 or AC40? Or are both too small?
Either of your filters will work. If you want a fuge, I'd choose the larger.

3.) Could I stick a ball of chaeto in one of these for my tank?
Yep
Or are they too small, and therefore would not do anything?
Could it be an
? You can use just about any powerfilter (with a light) as a refugium. Larger filters just hold more algae.

4.) I already have some snails and corals in my tank, would it be OK to add this now? Or will it cause an imbalance and kill what is already in my tank?
You can add a fuge at any time. The only negative might be less algae in your tank for the snails (but they'll be fine if there isn't too many).
Dwankmuller

sweet, thanks for the info. Ill mull over the idea of a refuge. Im sure in a month when im bored with the tank and want to upgrate it ill make one haha. Thanks again!

Archived