Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adding a SIx Line Wrasse

thom7667

Curious about adding a small six line wrasse.

I have a 12 gal Nano with 23lbs of Live rock and 15 lbs of live sand. My tank has been up for 7 mos now and I have 2 false percs, a YWG and a Pistol shrimp. Clean up crew is an assortment of snails and crabs.

I do weekly water changes and my parameters are all good. Tankmates have been established for 3 months and I was just wondering, as we all do...would it be safe to add a small six line wrasse. I have done my research on them and its a mixed bag of experiences.

Not sure if the tanks big enough, they do like to swim. I love my SixLine, one of my favorite fishes. But he is in my 45T.

OClownsandNanos
+1 to sticking with the fish you already have.

+2 A sixline would not do well in a tank that size with all those other fish. You are pretty much at your bioload max right now anyway.

I loved my sixline, he was in my 20 with a decent amount of rockwork. I would however not recommend that you add another fish, It'll just be too much for a 12g.

On another note, the tank has to be well covered if you want a sixline, I took my lid off for about an hour and stepped away, and mine jumped.

Thank you and everyone else for your response and advice. I am going to take all of your advice and not get the sixline! :(

About a small bubble-tipped anemone...would that be a wise idea? I saw a guy with one in his 12 gal nano on youtube that was beautiful.

Thank you and everyone else for your response and advice. I am going to take all of your advice and not get the sixline!

About a small bubble-tipped anemone...would that be a wise idea? I saw a guy with one in his 12 gal nano on youtube that was beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoeVeal71dM...eos=wg_dSl5GGwc

BTAs get BIG so unless you have a place for him to go when he grows I would say its not a good long term idea.

Its insane to keep a nem in a nano. People do it and its wrong. Nanos need to be damn stable or its a slow death.

chucktdbm321

i have a sixline in a 10g but thats the ONLY fish i have in their and its also just a little 1.25" chubby football right now lol things a pig

I think a 12g is too small for a wrasse. I feel bad for mine somedays in my 34g.

OP, you're making the right decision. I had a few different sixlines in my old 125, he swam as much as the tangs. He really liked being able to stretch his fins.

Negative on the BTA also. People have added anemones to year+ old nanos and had them wither away. It's not worth risking a tank crash IMO.

BTW, kudos for doing your research BEFORE buying the livestock. You're already doing better than 3/4 of the beginners out there!

Thank you once again. I did do my research on this but as with some topics there seems to be some grey areas that can be debated. And when I saw that guys gorgeous 12 gal with the BTA it got me a bit excited. I will refrain from the BTA until I get a much larger tank so it can have plenty of room to grow and stretch out. I see that some folks on here have many levels of expressing themselves, as do I... TRUST ME!! But thank you for your tactful and encouraging response.

But thank you for your tactful and encouraging response.

You're welcome. I try to not get too fired up about stuff, sometimes it's hard to remember my first nano. Too many people forget they were also once a noob just starting out. Just keep being patient and doing your research and you will do well with this hobby.

I see that some folks on here have many levels of expressing themselves, as do I... TRUST ME!! But thank you for your tactful and encouraging response.

+1 to the comments about a sixline wrasse. I think since they tend to come into LFS's so small people think they look good in small nanos (and I agree that they look good!). But really they do get much bigger and can can get aggressive when territory is scarce. There's a sixline in a local LFS's tank (1000gal) that has to be close to 5"... It's a beast.

About the BTA, in addition to space I think it has to do with skill and tankmates. I'm not saying you're not skilled, but anemones are strange creatures. They are relatively simple, but their care requirements are difficult and there's a wide range of requirements that are different with each anemone. Plus there's just so much that can go wrong. Some anemones are only fit for species tanks. IMO get a few years experience under your belt first and then you can tackle keeping an anemone. You'll be much more successful and you'll be able to enjoy the extremely long lives these animals have.

To add on top of what the other posters have already said.. instead of the anemone, add some soft corals and some hardy LPS that your clowns might host in. My clowns hosted in green star polyps and I was pretty satisfied with that.

Archived