Cultivated Reef

how to clean "dead" rock

tolson83

So i rescaped my tank out of no where and took out two pieces of rock that were just big heavy round rocks. I took the rocks outside and smashed them into a bunch of little pieces I plan on using to place corals in the sand or just add a naturalness to the tank. However, after i smashed the rock i put it in a bucket and forgot about it for about two days and now it is a rotten smelly mess.... what is the best way to turn this once live rock into something sterile and clean that i can add to my tank without creating a cycle. Boil it? any products?

thanks

Grendel0501

It's a very lazy approach , but I put the rock outside in the sunlight for a week , then rinse it off in a bucket of ro.

It's a very lazy approach , but I put the rock outside in the sunlight for a week , then rinse it off in a bucket of ro.

I did the same thing to some of my dead rocks. Be ware of flies though as they love the decomposing organism inside your rocks

I've read in some books that boiling works just fine (it was old and they recommended doing that to used rock because live rock was for advanced reefers.) Just make sure you let it cool down before you drop in into your tank.

Archived