Pod Your Reef

Just started a my first nano reef...

kuririn986

I bought a used 12g aquapod with an already upgraded pump for better flow. Do these require another powerhead? It seems like there are no real deadspots... every little crack or crevice that I look at seems to have water moving through it.

I started with RO saltwater about a week ago, and 10 lbs of cured live rock and 10 lbs of live sand, about 1 inch deep sand beds. My brown algae bloom began 2 days ago. I haven't checked the water specs yet. How much longer until I can put a cleaning crew, snails, hermits, in the tank? How far along am I in my cycle?

Thanks in advance.

Also the fish I plan to add when everything is said and done are, True Clown, per my wife :P, a small goby to pair with a pistol (any suggestions), and maybe one other fish, like a firefish or a wrasse.

I will also be adding corals but I have no idea yet on that stuff, I seem to like zoanthids. Are those easy to keep for a noob? Any other suggestions?

I bought a used 12g aquapod with an already upgraded pump for better flow. Do these require another powerhead?
I'd also put in a Koralia Nano (240gph).

I haven't checked the water specs yet. How much longer until I can put a cleaning crew, snails, hermits, in the tank? How far along am I in my cycle?
Test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Wait for ammonia and nitrite to become undetectable for at least a week before adding a cleanup crew. Make sure nitrate is less than 10 ppm before adding anything (water changes will bring it down if needed).

Also the fish I plan to add when everything is said and done are, True Clown, per my wife :P, a small goby to pair with a pistol (any suggestions), and maybe one other fish, like a firefish or a wrasse.
No wrasse

I will also be adding corals but I have no idea yet on that stuff, I seem to like zoanthids. Are those easy to keep for a noob?
Yep, pretty easy.

Thanks for the advice.

One last question, is an anemone for my clown out of the question? If not what type stays smallish and wont mess my corals and is compatile with my clown?

:welcome:

+1 to seabass.

IMO an anemone is not a great idea for a tank that size. They're better suited for larger, more mature tanks. Not to say that it can't be done (people have successfully kept smaller anemones like bubble tip anemones in small tanks), but you would really be skating on thin ice. Your lighting would likely need to be upgraded, it might mess with your corals, it might die and "nuke" your tank. On top of that a clownfish will be perfectly content without a host anemone. I just don't think it's worth the risk. Good luck!

Oh, and I seriously doubt that this will be your last question!!! Keep researching.

One last question, is an anemone for my clown out of the question? If not what type stays smallish and wont mess my corals and is compatible with my clown?
Unfortunately, host anemones usually grow too large for a 12 gallon tank with coral. Luckily, Ocellaris Clownfish do fine without an anemone. A Rock Flower Anemone would probably do fine in that tank, but they aren't host anemones for clownfish.

+1 to ajmckay :)

And sometimes when people add anemones... the clowns dont host um... clowns will host lots of things... I have a pink skunk that seems to be hosting hair algae lol, it stayed in it all day but we got rid of it... another hosted xenia.........some clowns I have seen host mushrooms or frogspawns. So who knows, you could add a torch or hammer or frogspawn and it host that. I have also heard of them hosting toadstools.

For the goby/shrimp you can get a yasha/shrimp pair online for around $60 I think. My fav is the yellow watchman goby or YWG.... I have seen a ywg/shrimp pair for $50 online before.

Archived