Cultivated Reef

How the hec

outpost

I got 3 new hermits today for my tank. I put them in and come back 3 hours later and one of them is ripped out of his shell. How the hec could this happen? Is my coral banded shrimp capable of doing this?

I got 3 new hermits today for my tank. I put them in and come back 3 hours later and one of them is ripped out of his shell. How the hec could this happen? Is my coral banded shrimp capable of doing this?

Would help if we knew what else you stocked in the tank.

Its the whole crab ripped out of it's shell. I also have a lion fish. a clown, royal gramma chromis and a damsel couldn't have done this.

I assume you mean its ripped out and dead right? Cuz I had a hermit leave his shell and was walkin around without one for a few, it was wierd, but he was fine.

Oh, you have a lionfish?! with a clownfish, chromis, and damsel? What kind of lion are we talking here?

Count your hermits and see if it really died or if it's just a molt.

Yep could be a molt, their shell really is a close match for it. Could also be that they battled and one lost for it's shell.... though it does seem unlikely in a new space like that.

I also wouldn't blame acclimation.... they are inverts and those are supposed to be harder to acclimate.... but I moved 2 between my tanks yesterday and when I took them OUT of the water they both came out and started walking around on my hand.

How big is the CBS? They certainly can be aggressive enough, but mine has never bothered my hermits and they seem to be a bit klutzy.

My lion is a fuzzy dwarf and he doesn't bother anybody. I am 300% positive that he didn't molt. His whole upper body is torn from his lower half. MY CBS has a inch and a half long body. Oh well. I get another one, they're only $1.50

Archived