Top Shelf Aquatics

What's the easiest setup for a quarantine?

Helpinsmepls

One simple ingredient.. the search feature

If you took the time to make an unnecessary post, you could have at least given him some input. :o Be nice to the newbs.

Helpinsmepls

I realize there is a search function to this site. But as with anything there are many ways to do things. I was just trying to get a feel for what some of the people here felt was the easiest setup for a quarantine.

Not necessarily the least expensive btw.

Tank (most people use 10 gallon), heater, pvc pipe for fish to hide in, air pump, mix of water from DT and fresh mixed water. Daily water changes.

I don't know if by easiest you mean easiest to set up or easiest to maintain, but you're pretty much stuck with daily or every other day water changes.

depending on how many fish do you want to keep at the same time.... For a nano, I have a 5.5g with the following:

1. water (duh)

2. HOB filter

3. few small rocks on the side

4. small heater

5. one big " T " pvc pipe

I do weekly water changes but I use the water that I take out of my 10Gal. Its still good because it has 0 nitrates..... and alk is around 8. so that water is still good for a non-reef tank.

Helpinsmepls

Thanks guys,

Whats an appropriate amount of time to keep a fish in quarantine? Whats the right amount of time for a coral quarantine?

What chemicals would I add to the water for a fish quarantine? And what types for a coral quarantine?

Lets say I wanted to make sure my new fish was not secretly carrying ich how to I make sure it's "clean"?

I have had problems before trying to quarantine a new fish. They seem so stressed that I give up and put them in the display or they just die in quarantine.

I done a 20gallon quarantine before with a sandbed a few live rock and a hob filter. Yellow watchman died, even a damsel died, both from a LFS.

When I order fish for a 70 gallon im starting I will order from saltwaterfish.com or liveaquaria.com. By ordering from these dealers should there still be a quarantine time?

Thanks

OClownsandNanos
Thanks guys,

Whats an appropriate amount of time to keep a fish in quarantine? Whats the right amount of time for a coral quarantine?

What chemicals would I add to the water for a fish quarantine? And what types for a coral quarantine?

Lets say I wanted to make sure my new fish was not secretly carrying ich how to I make sure it's "clean"?

I have had problems before trying to quarantine a new fish. They seem so stressed that I give up and put them in the display or they just die in quarantine.

I done a 20gallon quarantine before with a sandbed a few live rock and a hob filter. Yellow watchman died, even a damsel died, both from a LFS.

When I order fish for a 70 gallon im starting I will order from saltwaterfish.com or liveaquaria.com. By ordering from these dealers should there still be a quarantine time?

Thanks

If you're doing a 70 gallon you're probably eventually going to have a lot of fish in that tank. Do a QT on every one of them before you put them in. I try to do 4-6 weeks if there has been no prior QT as marine ich can show up anytime within that period. I use a 20 gal QT with heater, minimal lighting, bare bottom, only pvc no live rock. I used filter floss from my DT I had kept in for 10 days, moved it right over. It was a lot of floss, enough to pack an Aquaclear 50 (my QT filter). I gently rinse the floss in tank water every few weeks. Do not put any chemicals in the QT unless you see sickness. You are trying to make a "spa-like" setting so they don't feel threatened, they can fatten up, and you can observe them for any problems. I also put chaeto in there to help take up nitrates and potentially ammonia. I periodically test my QT water and I've never seen ammo or nitrites. I do 20% weekly water changes.

Unless you do Diver's Den, they do not QT from liveaquaria. I just got fish from them (3 vanderbilt chromis) and one was DOA. The other two are starting their second week of QT.

I have successfully put a pair of clowns and a tailspot blenny through the QT and have had it up for over two months. No deaths so far, no signs of sickness yet either. The tailspot had been at the LFS for about a month so I only QT'd him for two weeks. So far the fish QT works very well for me and I'd absolutely recommend setting one up. When I'm done adding my fish I will try to turn it into a coral QT, but I will need a slightly better light than what I have right now. Otherwise I will keep it almost exactly the same (though possibly ditch the chaeto).

OClownsandNanos

Keep in mind if you do have to treat with chemicals because of sickness your biological filtration will likely be wiped out, so consider keeping filter floss or a sponge somewhere in the display tank (in a sump or in a filter) so you can replace it if you need to. You will also have to step up water changes anyway in most scenarios should that happen. I also have chaeto in my display so if I need to dump the chaeto in the QT I can and just replace it with new chaeto.

Archived