Coral Vue Hydros

Noonan's 40 Breeder - Rate my aquascape

Noonan

I'm finally starting to get stuff. I ordered the tank & stand about 3 weeks ago. The tank came in right away but the stand didn't come in until today (2/13/10).

So far, I only have the tank and stand so this isn't going to be much of a thread for a little while.. but I plan to keep this updated as a tank "log" so I figured I might as well start now.

I plan for this tank to be a good looking frag tank. I am definitely going to have some live rock in the tank but also plan to have plenty of open space for frag racks, or just frags on the bare bottom. I'll probably have majority of the live rock coming from the right wall of the tank, leaving the left side open. Chances are the only "racks" in the tank will be mag-racks.

I really need help deciding on lighting. I'm leaning towards Tek 6 36" but 3 PAR38s are really holding me back.... so tempting.

What I have:

Aqueon 40 breeder

AGA 36" x 18" black pine stand

20H sump

ATO tank in the works

Water change tank in the works

Mag-Drive 5 or 7 (have both)

Glass-Holes 700 GPH overflow

36" 6 bulb Tek light

Whats ordered:

screenshot20100506at646.png

Needs to be ordered:

MP20

Warner Marine H1 HOB skimmer (will get after tank is cycled)

Nemo Niblets

Some people have good success with LEDs, some don't. But with the right bulb combo, not too many people have problems with T5s. Maybe a T5 fixture with LED supplements?

The WMH1 is AWESOME.

Some people have good success with LEDs, some don't. But with the right bulb combo, not too many people have problems with T5s. Maybe a T5 fixture with LED supplements?

The WMH1 is AWESOME.

Thats what I hear.. I really plan on this tank being a mixed frag tank so I don't want to push it (Tek 6 might even be cutting it close, we will see).

I have a buddy who knows alot about LEDs so I've been sending him all kinds of posts so he can figure out the best way to rig up a moon light for me. I'm planning on mounting it to the Tek light.

fishdaddy0831

Loks like its cross threaded. Whats the problem?

First speed bump:

bulkhead.jpg

Easy fix. Plumbing this week. Lights on its way (Tek 36" 6 bulb). Ordering an MP20 Friday.

Loks like its cross threaded. Whats the problem?

The rim around the top of the tank was in the way. It was seriously like .4mm. I was going to dremel it off but decided to stick a brand new paint scraper into the rim, and use a soldering iron to melt away at it. I used the paint scraper to protect the glass. I had my hand on the other side of the glass the whole time to make sure there was no heat. I hit the plastic 3-4 times after getting the iron hot, and I was good to go.

I painted the bottom and back today. Pictures tomorrow, or maybe I'll just wait until the light is hung and the tank is plumbed.

I got to get it plumbed.. Like I said just got it painted tonight, got it back in the house and on my stand about 20 minutes ago. I'm also waiting to pick up a sump from a local reefer, kind of need it to plumb.

HOPEFULLY... Water Friday? Cross your fingers!

Nope. No water Friday. Didn't have time to get the sump :/

This came in recently though. I love boxes with sexy things in them.

photo1gv.jpg

photo2my.jpg

Its so nice. Wish I had my bulbs..

and also, I ordered it with the 1 point hanging kit.. It's labeled 1 point hanging kit, but its a 2 point hanging kit. :)

Yeah I just edited my OP with the bulb combo... Here it is again though.

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue Special

Fiji Purple

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue Special

ATI Blue Plus

Yeah I just edited my OP with the bulb combo... Here it is again though.

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue Special

Fiji Purple

ATI Blue Plus

ATI Aqua Blue Special

ATI Blue Plus

Thats going to be some serious PAR output.

Just an update.. Got the light hung. It looks great. I ordered the one point hanging kit that is available for these lights. When it came it was in a bag with a "1 point hanging kit" label, but once I opened it up I realized it was a 2 point hanging kit. It was so simple to hang, and looks really good.

The tank and sump are also plumbed. Like posted earlier I am using a Glass-Holes 700 GPH kit. The return is as simple as a Mag 7 > barb > 1" braided hose > 90 barb > bulkhead. I'm having an issue finding a piece of PVC that will reduce the bulkhead down to a male lock-line adapter. I think that using a piece of pipe as a small coupling should help, I still need to try that.

I plan to do a test run with tap water tomorrow through Thursday. I should pick up my bulbs and some saltwater Friday, so picture when it's lit and filled. Can't wait.

SWEET! Those are sexy boxes huh? I just got my Tek elite fixture about 2 weeks ago. I'm running the same bulb combo as well.

Check out my build thread you can take a look at what the bulb combo is actually going to look like.

SWEET! Those are sexy boxes huh? I just got my Tek elite fixture about 2 weeks ago. I'm running the same bulb combo as well.

Check out my build thread you can take a look at what the bulb combo is actually going to look like.

Very nice looking tank. Your sump is awesome. I can't wait to get my bulbs in and see them in person!

Noonan are you still interested in that rock??

I am, I'm just not 100% sure when I'll be available to meet you on your way home from work. I'll still have to keep you posted.

OK.. So. Last week I went to visit my dealer who was trying to get the 5 ATI and 1 KZ Fiji bulb. He didn't have them and said he would have them on Tuesday (this past Tuesday). I went there yesterday and he still didn't have them.

So I had to order them online. I can't wait any longer.

screenshot20100506at646.png

I went with a little different bulb combo then planned, but I can't wait. I should have them on Monday.

The tank is running and filled with saltwater. I'm going to get some base rock, live rock, live rock rubble for sump, heater, and 2 more tanks (W/C tank and ATO tank) all this weekend.

I am waiting for an ATO.com single switch ATO to come in. I am going to put both tanks in my closet which is right next to the tank. The closest tank to the DT will be the ATO tank. The second tank is going to be filled with heated and buffered saltwater with water movement and a Mag5 that will have a valve on it and a hose that leads to the DT's sump. I plan to do daily water changes (5 days a week) of <5 gallons and weekly water changes of 10 gallons (Sat or Sunday). Having this W/C tank connected to the sump will make for easy and fast water changes. Just remove 1 or 2 5 gallon bucks, and turn the valve.

Anyone have any tips on the size of ATO tank I should use for this system? A 20H would work and I wouldn't need to replace water all that often, but I don't know if I have room for 2 20H in my closet.

My bulbs came in today. The company was a pleasure to deal with, shipping was fast, overall great experience. They're not a sponsor here so I'm not sure if it's ok to say which company it was.

I ordered 3 ATI Blue Plus, 2 Aquablue Special and 1 UVL Super Actinic. I don't have water or rock in the tank yet so it's hard to say, but I'm not as happy with the UVL SA as I am the ATI bulbs.

Front

bulbcombo3.jpg

^Back

bulbcombo2.jpg

(Not sure why it looks the way it does)

I'm thinking about switching a blue plus and the UVL, so theres a blue plus in the front.

Did some messing around with base rock today. I was really hoping to have a peninsula aquascape but it doesn't seem that easy to accomplish. I couldn't get it to work or look right with the rocks that I have.

This is what I have so far.. I'm most likely going to leave it like this, and add about 10% more live rock to the DT as well as 10-20 lbs of LR to the sump.

baserock1.jpg

baserock2chase.jpg

My favorite helper.. 3 year old golden. She had to inspect every rock before it went in.

fishdaddy0831

Wow, you have a blue retriever. :)

If it was my tank I would want to add some more rock to the aquascape. I've also always loved the 40s with one big island and one small one. Tank it looking good though. Looking forward to seeing water in it.

Archived