Cultivated Reef

8 gal BC - Protein Skimmer options?

Gromit1710

Hi all!

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Guess that's good or bad, depending on how you look at it :huh:

Anyways,

My mini salt/reef tank has been up for over a year now. Haven't had too many problems actually..

I've had to replace the cooling fans and make some alterations to the reflective shroud.. ( Seriously.. what were they thinking?) and done some creative things with the number 2 chamber to better filter and treat the water. I've watched a couple specimens flourish and a couple wither and die with no real rime or reason, but oh well. I've also kept up the good fight with aiptasia.

But I've come across something.

Biocube makes protein skimmers for the 14gal and the 28gal versions.. but nothing for the 8 gal model.

I do a 50% water change every week to two weeks and top off with RODI only.. but the amount of scum that builds up even in 3 or 4 days is enough to float a bottle cap on sometimes ( ok, I'm kinda exaggerating but you get my point )

Is there an alternative method that anyone has tried to skim this stuff off? I'm thinking like a home-made fine mesh net or something.. i don't know. Haven't tried anything yet. Figured I'd ask around first. The volume of water and the ease of access I have to the tank would make manually removing the scum easy.

Tank has:

1 true perc

1 Scooter Blenny

5 Hermits ( 3 red, 2 blues )

2 bumble bee snails

2 Astraea Snails.

1 pretty large Green Star Polyp Colony

1 ... some dang stony coral I can't remember now.. It's red with blue polyps and grows up in long skinny upright stalagmites..

A bunch of random other strange things that hitched in with the live rock. ( Tube worms, Astrid Stars and Larry, the 4" scary worm who crawls out at night and haunts my crushed coral bed.

Feeding a very small amount of flakes once a day for the swimmers and 5 to 10 drops of live phyto-feast every day or so for the filter feeders.

Light cycle is 12 hrs actinic and 8 hrs 10,000k Full.

Are you talking about build up on the surface of the water? If so, on my BC14 I ended up cutting the fins on my intake and removing the horizontal piece across the top of them. My water level was up on that piece so I wasn't getting any surface skimming. Removing it let surface water through and resulted in little to no surface build up.

Oohh. Thats a good idea.. and yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Let the cheap stage 1 filter take it off...

You are talking about surface film which a skimmer will not help with anyway.

This is an 8 gallon tank, you do not need a skimmer, water changes just as you are doing.

Lower the water level slightly in your display so your intake can properly surface skim. Set up chamber two with good clean filtration.

You are talking about surface film which a skimmer will not help with anyway.

This is an 8 gallon tank, you do not need a skimmer, water changes just as you are doing.

Lower the water level slightly in your display so your intake can properly surface skim. Set up chamber two with good clean filtration.

I can try lowering my display level. You're talking about just cutting the sluice way between chambers 1 and 2 deeper, right?

and my second chamber is a bag of filter floss, a packet of purigen and then a Chemi-pure gold at the bottom. The Chemi I rinse about every 2 to 3 months, the purigen I recharge when it turns a golden brown color and the filter floss gets changed about every 3 water changes. I try and keep the water level in chambers 2 and 3 around half full.

Archived