ReefCleaners.org

Newbie reefer seeking advice!

heavymetalmullet

heavymetalmullet

Hi there guys and girls,

been lurking for good couple of months around the forums on here getting some really good research on starting my nano reef. I am based in the UK and was hoping to get my hands on an Orca TL-450 as there are some good prices about for them and they seem to come with practically everything you need to get started however all the aquatic places here seem to be having a problem with getting them in from their suppliers.

This has lead me to look at alternative tanks and I came across the Fluval Roma 90 tank at a good price of £183 including the cabinet and delivery and the following pieces of equipment:

Fluval U2 Internal Filter, Tronic Heater 100watt, Fluval GLO lighting, one of each 15watt PowerGlo & AquaGlo, LCD thermometer and a Fluval Aquarium Care Guide. There is also a 100ml Nutrafin Aqua Plus water conditioner and a 100ml Nutrafin Cycle with a 26g Nutrafin Tropical Flake food.

In the description it states that the tank is suitable for marine fish when additional equipment is purchased. I am planning on setting the tank up with live sand, live rock, a few small pieces of coral, a CUC, and a selection of nice small-medium size fish.

My questions are the following:

A) what additional equipment would be required (i'm guessing skimmer and refractometer?)

B) is this a good size tank to be starting out with?

All help much appreciated!

lakshwadeep

:welcome: to nano-reef.com

That fluval setup seems to be made for freshwater tanks. I think it would be best to avoid such a kit and get either a marine-focused setup or purchase a tank (with or without the stand) by itself and equipment separately. All you basically would be able to keep is the heater; the other supplies are either insufficient or unwanted.

A skimmer is not required for a successful tank.

Besides a refractometer (or other salinity measure), you would need adequate lighting for corals (see the lighting forum), increased water movement in the form of powerheads (stock pumps are rarely enough), a glass or digital thermometer ("LCD thermometers" are inaccurate because of their placement), and external supplies for things like saltwater mixing and water tests.

If "Roma 90" means 90 liters (24 gallons), then it is a good choice for the livestock you want.

heavymetalmullet
:welcome: to nano-reef.com

That fluval setup seems to be made for freshwater tanks. I think it would be best to avoid such a kit and get either a marine-focused setup or purchase a tank (with or without the stand) by itself and equipment separately. All you basically would be able to keep is the heater; the other supplies are either insufficient or unwanted.

A skimmer is not required for a successful tank.

Besides a refractometer (or other salinity measure), you would need adequate lighting for corals (see the lighting forum), increased water movement in the form of powerheads (stock pumps are rarely enough), a glass or digital thermometer ("LCD thermometers" are inaccurate because of their placement), and external supplies for things like saltwater mixing and water tests.

If "Roma 90" means 90 liters (24 gallons), then it is a good choice for the livestock you want.

Hey cheers for the fast reply! Yeah it is a 90 litre tank which is what attracted me to it as it was a good price but if the other kit is redundent then it's probably not worth it. Are there any tanks you would recommend around the 15 -20g size that won't cost me a fortune? The only marine start up kits I can seem to find in this country seem to be those Orca TL-450 tanks that all the shops are having trouble getting hold of, but one stockist claims he will be getting a supply in this week, is it worth waiting for?

Hey cheers for the fast reply! Yeah it is a 90 litre tank which is what attracted me to it as it was a good price but if the other kit is redundent then it's probably not worth it. Are there any tanks you would recommend around the 15 -20g size that won't cost me a fortune? The only marine start up kits I can seem to find in this country seem to be those Orca TL-450 tanks that all the shops are having trouble getting hold of, but one stockist claims he will be getting a supply in this week, is it worth waiting for?

Please refrain from buying a kit for these reasons...

The HOB filter, will be useless unless its something like a AquaClear 70 that you can mod into a refugium.

The water cleaners/cycle are for freshwater, if you plan on having a successful tank, you will need to be using RO/DI water.

The heater prob does not have a ON light, or a dial, which is useless.

To be completely honest, I would like someone else said, buy a tank, and buy ALL the gear separate.

Buy just a plain 15 or 20 gal tank, your LFS may not have them on display, but they for sure sell just plain tanks, get to know your LFS, know some staff members, find out if they know what they are talking about.

Anyways, if your LFS is really crap, order your lighting online.

You will need either t5, mh, led, or powerful PC to be able to have corals, not your average "kit" lighting system.

Get yourself a refractometer, or a hydrometer that is calibrate-able.

For your 15-20 gal tank, you will need at least 1 powerhead, try for a Koralia 1, or 2, that should be enough.

And last but not least, gl. ;)

heavymetalmullet

Buy just a plain 15 or 20 gal tank, your LFS may not have them on display, but they for sure sell just plain tanks, get to know your LFS, know some staff members, find out if they know what they are talking about.

So if i purchased a standard tank with no extras and bought all the equipment seperately do you think it could actually work out cheaper/similar price as buying a start up kit anyway?

heavymetalmullet
Yes.

Ok cool, i'm gonna have a look around at a few LFS over the next dew days and get an idea of cost. Out of interest I found this on an amercian site that they can ship to the UK, what's your opinions on these tanks? I've read good things about them on different forums.

Yes.

Sorry forgot to include the link: http://www.jbjnanocube.com/contents/en-us/p10948.html

• 4 weeks later...
heavymetalmullet

Hi there guys, been a while since I was last on here. I finally managed to get hold of a 200 litre (44g) glass tank! I know this is rather large for a nano reef but I was hoping I could still seek some advice. What protein skimmer and filter would you recommend for a tank of this size? Don't reeally want to spend a fortune so less than £100 for each would be best.

With regards to lighting the person who i bought the tank from gave me her lighting system, which is a Dymax twin bulb system. It currently has a normal day tube in there and a blue tube which I can't actually figure out how to switch on. Do you think it will be possible to switch these tubes for two T5 tubes so that I can keep soft corals?

Many thanks for your help!

lakshwadeep

Live rock is the basis of your filtration. External filters are not necessary unless it's chemical (i.e. a phosphate sponge) or mechanical (i.e. filter floss). A skimmer is more useful. Try checking the equipment and large tanks forums for more info.

Can you provide a link to the fixture you're talking about? Offhand, a two bulb fixture, even with T5s and individual reflectors, sounds weak for such a large tank. You can only run bulbs that your fixture's ballast is rated for; otherwise you risk overdriving/underdriving the bulbs, if you can even get them to fit.

heavymetalmullet
Live rock is the basis of your filtration. External filters are not necessary unless it's chemical (i.e. a phosphate sponge) or mechanical (i.e. filter floss). A skimmer is more useful. Try checking the equipment and large tanks forums for more info.

Can you provide a link to the fixture you're talking about? Offhand, a two bulb fixture, even with T5s and individual reflectors, sounds weak for such a large tank. You can only run bulbs that your fixture's ballast is rated for; otherwise you risk overdriving/underdriving the bulbs, if you can even get them to fit.

Yeah i'm looking at getting either a TMC v2400 skimmer or someone else suggested an SMT wave skimmer I think it was called. Both HOB jobbies and come with the pumps necessary to power them.

With regards to lighting I think you're right the equipment I was given with the tank was being used for tropical fish so i'll sell it and get something else. I've seen this on ebay, does it look any good to you?? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

lakshwadeep

Read the T5HO information thread in the lighting forum for advice on fixtures and bulbs. The main disadvantage of that ebay fixture is the single flat reflector.

Archived