inTank Media Baskets

Water very cloudy after adding sand, anything to do?

spleenman

Just set up my tank today. Mixed SW yesterday, adjusted temp and salinity until today, added live rock, then poured my sand around it into the tank. The tank is obscenely cloudy, I mean it's opaque, really, and still doesn't look any better after a couple of hours. I am running my 2 Koralia 1s and my heater right now, should I maybe not be running the K1s?

The sand is Caribsea Ocean Direct live sand, and I have added the little bag of clarifying/bacteria binding stuff. The instructions for the sand did say to turn back on your powerheads and heater after adding the sand, if I remember correctly, unfortunately I can't read it again as it's already buried deep in the garbage!

So, should I turn off my k1s until the water clears up, or keep them running and just wait it out?

joshnanoreef
Just set up my tank today. Mixed SW yesterday, adjusted temp and salinity until today, added live rock, then poured my sand around it into the tank. The tank is obscenely cloudy, I mean it's opaque, really, and still doesn't look any better after a couple of hours. I am running my 2 Koralia 1s and my heater right now, should I maybe not be running the K1s?

The sand is Caribsea Ocean Direct live sand, and I have added the little bag of clarifying/bacteria binding stuff. The instructions for the sand did say to turn back on your powerheads and heater after adding the sand, if I remember correctly, unfortunately I can't read it again as it's already buried deep in the garbage!

So, should I turn off my k1s until the water clears up, or keep them running and just wait it out?

just keep them on, it's normal. My tank took a few days to completely clear up. After that, it's been fine.

littlelacho

You can turn off your Koralias if you like and it will probably help to clear up faster but it is still going to take a bit. If you keep the power heads on, make sure that they are not pointing at the sand and helping to stir it up more. Also, what lnm130 said...filter floss will help alot.

It should clear up in a day or so :)

It's totally normal. I wouldn't even worry about the pumps. Just forget about it and come back in a day or 2.

Thanks for the replies! Can't use filter floss, as I have no filter. Just biological filtration.

In that case I'll leave them both on and just wait. I wouldn't want to leave them off for too long to avoid creating really uneven temperatures in the tank.

I guess I knew it was normal from my reading, but was surprised at just HOW opaque it is!

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to rule it out, lol.

I've been toying with the idea of a DIY Aquaclear 'fuge for a while, but wanted to see if I could do it entirely with LR and LS. The idea really appeals to me, and not just 'cause it's cheaper!

I can always put a mechanical filter compartment in there if I do add one later, right?

imo...a fuge or sump is a good idea for several reasons.

Others will argue "They aren't necessary" and that may be true.

But, it's nice to have the extra space for gear to keep a clean display or for whatever comes along.

Personally, I don't think the cost of an ARC(?) fuge is all that much and I have seen mods to place the pump within the fuge instead of the display. You could certanily DIY the thing, but for me, I'd just buy it.

How big's your tank?

wanted to see if I could do it entirely with LR and LS.

That's all I have, and a lot of people on here for that matter.

It's a 15 gallon tank.

There's tonnes of foam on the top of the water from the live sand being added. Since I've no protein skimmer, should I remove it by hand (net or spoon maybe?), or will it go away on it's own?

It's a 15 gallon tank.

There's tonnes of foam on the top of the water from the live sand being added. Since I've no protein skimmer, should I remove it by hand (net or spoon maybe?), or will it go away on it's own?

Slpeenman

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I haven't added the live rock yet, I'm not sure if I have to wait until everything settles first. The salinity is fine, temperature is good...?

I tried skimming the foam off with a ladle with a little success, the skimmer doesn't arrive for another few days.

BLoCkCliMbeR
I see cheap HOB stuffed with floss in your future....lol

i never have this problem when i put the sand in the tank first, then pour the water slowly into the tank, where it hits a plate or a bowl to soften the force of the water.....

i never have this problem when i put the sand in the tank first, then pour the water slowly into the tank, where it hits a plate or a bowl to soften the force of the water.....

It helps to rinse the sand before you put it in the tank, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST THE SAME QUESTION.

I have a 28G and put sand in after adding LR. Its now 3 days, and still very very cloudy (waiting for the meatballs to start flying ;) ). Only the black course sponge filter is in there. Yesterday, I made it worse (had to), by using the turkey baster to get rid of the sand that fell on the LR. I need to do it again, because there is a lot of silt on the rocks.

My question - should I use the floss and/or should I do a water change - or just wait a few more days.

Also, when and if I move the LR is this stuff going to ket kicked up again ?

Archived