Pod Your Reef

clowns and corals?

new-b-reefer

new-b-reefer

so i was wondering if anyone has any experience with tomato clownfish hosting corals. i have a small tank raised perc in my 28gallon nanocube and a bunch of corals. the little clown is the only creature in the tank that does not go anywhere near the rocks or corals or anything. he just kind of hovers out in the open toward the front, top of the tank. i suspect its because he is tanks raised. i really want a clown fish that will host in some of my corals and i know that alot of times, the tomato clowns are almost a definite host in a tank with anemones. i had a tomato clown a while back that hosted a condy and loved it but the fish came down with ick and passed. and the condy i suspect my cleaner shrimp aided in its death cause everytime i would feed the nem, the shrimp would swim over and pull the food away from it. now my tank has more corals so i dont think it would be safe to add an anemone for fear of it stinging things. i do like the condy nems though but the pack a powerful punch. at this point i just want some sort of clown fish that will enjoy and use the reef rather than the rim of the tank. any suggestions?

here is a pic of my tank :)

JayEeeTeeEss

I personally don't have any experience with tomato clowns hosting, but I've had my naked clowns for 3 months and last night for the first time the male was hosting my tiny disc of green star polyps that I have on my sandbed so it doesn't take over my rockwork. Hopefully he keeps it up. I'd say maybe it will just take some time for yours to start hosting something?

You never know when they will host or what they will host, some tank raised clowns host mushrooms, frogspawn, even xenia.... give um time. My LFS has a 210g display tank and has a mated pair of clowns, 1 occie, 1 b/w occie... they have been in there 2 years and just now started hosting a sebae anemone... A popular anemone that clowns like are red buble tip or RBTA. Another would be a carpet but carpets get big and eat anything. Our old maintainer said he put in a blue hippo for one of his customers and before he got out the door their carpet had already got a hold of it. :( Anyways it just takes time, clowns don't have to host anything to survive.

MrAwesomeSquared

Two of my clowns(one false, one false misbar) began hosting a Chili coral I have hanging in an arch and are quite comfortable/happy there.

My other clown (black false) is more of a roamer than anything else. He usually plays in a number of corals.

new-b-reefer
Two of my clowns(one false, one false misbar) began hosting a Chili coral I have hanging in an arch and are quite comfortable/happy there.

My other clown (black false) is more of a roamer than anything else. He usually plays in a number of corals.

thank you all for all the input. i have all sorts of corals and have had him for a few months. he is really small and young, i have another tank raised in my 20 gallon fish only that i have had for a lil longer and he is older and maybe a lil more than twice the size. i was thinking about switching them out to see how the bigger one does and if he might host cause he is older maybe. i know they dont have to host to survive but i really like seeing the clowns hosting. its so cool and natual looking to me. its truely a sight to see :)

what do you guys think? do you think a clown that is a little more aged is more prone to hosting or atleast swimming closer to the reef? lol

new-b-reefer
thank you all for all the input. i have all sorts of corals and have had him for a few months. he is really small and young, i have another tank raised in my 20 gallon fish only that i have had for a lil longer and he is older and maybe a lil more than twice the size. i was thinking about switching them out to see how the bigger one does and if he might host cause he is older maybe. i know they dont have to host to survive but i really like seeing the clowns hosting. its so cool and natual looking to me. its truely a sight to see :)

what do you guys think? do you think a clown that is a little more aged is more prone to hosting or atleast swimming closer to the reef? lol

so i switched my little perc into my f/o tank with the other little perc and transfered in my larger perc into my reef tank. he already seems a little more comfortable swimming around but we will see if he gets comfortable to the point of going in and out or even near the reef and corals.

has anyone else run into the problem with tank raised percs just kinda hovering out in the middle of the tank and near the top and sides, but no where near the rock and/or corals. could it be that sinse they are tank raised maybe the just dont know what to do with reef life?

I have two perc's and they both host my torch coral. I would wait it out. Maybe it isn't hosting because its a juve. In my experience clowns will host almost anything. I use to have a different pair of perc's in my FOWLR tank and they hosted my fake coral. I wouldn't recommend putting a nem in a 28 gallon tank. They will outgrow the tank in no time. Try a frogspawn or a torch coral. I bet your perc will warm up to either of them.

FTIII.jpg

new-b-reefer
I have two perc's and they both host my torch coral. I would wait it out. Maybe it isn't hosting because its a juve. In my experience clowns will host almost anything. I use to have a different pair of perc's in my FOWLR tank and they hosted my fake coral. I wouldn't recommend putting a nem in a 28 gallon tank. They will outgrow the tank in no time. Try a frogspawn or a torch coral. I bet your perc will warm up to either of them.

FTIII.jpg

yeah i thought it might be because he is young. i have a lot of torch in there and a rather large frog spawn and even a head of hammer coral, i guess i just gotta let him age a bit more but now my older clown is in the reef tank with the corals sowe will see what he does. i have tons of their favorite corals, now he just needs to pick one. :) here a couople tank shots. hammer down low, torch on the left and right, frogspawn on the top up and behind the torch coral on the middle right :)

Archived