Innovative Marine Aquariums

sump/refugiun 101

iglowce

I have a 30g sump right now where i put heater, pump, protein skimmer, etc. If i wanna put in some macro aglae (caulerpa, etc.) do I need lighting? if so, what type? any help is appreciated :)

basically it depends on your sump design. But The skimmer should go somehwere where you won;t have to worry about bubbles getting in to the part for the return pump.

On my sump I just have an intake section where the water flows into the sump. It goes through a bubble trap and into a big middle chamber. I have all of my equipment in there, as weel as some live rock and macro with a light over it. Then the water flows into the return section which has nothing but the return pump. It works fine, but having more sections for a skimmer, a section for LR and macro etc would be nice too.

As far as lighting, I just use a screw in 24 watt 6500K CFL. It does fine. You can buy a fancy pants PC fixture or go with T5's or something if you want, but a $5 CFL works fine if you get the right color temp.

whats a good and affordable lighting for a 30g sump? any recommendation from marinedepot? or should i get it from homedepot? if homedepot, which one should i get?

Target sells the 6500K daylight flood lightbulb for 6 bucks, I believe it uses 15W, 600 lumens, as bright as 65W. Make sure you look for the color temp to be 5000K to 6500K. I saw a number of flood lightbulbs at Wal-Mart, but they were all 2700K.

I got the Nano-Glow from JBJ. next question, why do I need to let it run on reverse lighting cycle?

Running your light on the reverse cycle of your tank will keep your PH from swinging.

does it have to do with the spores its releasing when going sexual? or is it a separate issue?

Are you still talking about the reverse light schedule? No... It has to do with light hitting the water. Has nothing to do with the macro algae.

the photo period being opoisit from each other mantains ph by the oxogen that is added the tghe water from photosynthesis.

most people on RC prefers 24/7 because of double growth, etc. and they mentioned if pH is stabled, 24/7 cycle should be ok. whats your take on that?

have found the cheto grows fast if it has a dark period. but is not nessasery to mantain growth.

most people on RC prefers 24/7 because of double growth, etc. and they mentioned if pH is stabled, 24/7 cycle should be ok. whats your take on that?

Whether you have micro algae or plants, they need a rest period just like everything else in life. Also it provides the gas exchange. And if you have a refugium it is better to run the water through it a slower levels than when running a normal sump.

Archived