Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Biocube question

fxman

Have you tried or heard of anyone trying to use the first chamber for chaeto. I have removed the plastic divider and was thinking of putting my chaeto in there some mods and a light of course. I figured with the grate at the bottom pods could readily get into the tank without have to go through the powerhead.

JayEeeTeeEss

By plastic divider I guess you mean the baffle that separates the 1st and 2nd chamber? So now you only have 2 chambers (what used to be 1 and 2, and 3?) Am I just reading you wrong?

I did that for a while. The only thing is then the light spills out from the bottom grate... better to put it into the middle chamber

Thanks for the replies. I meant the grate that divides the top and bottom of chamber one. I removed it to accommodate my heater but was thinking of modding to to accommodate the chaeto. Stevie, is light spillage your main reason for suggesting chamber 2? laxilla, did you feel like the light affected your corals?

Thanks,

Chamber two has much more room and is more functional as a fuge. Chamber one is the only practical place for a heater and is on the intake.

JayEeeTeeEss

I completely gutted all grates and shelves out of the back chambers. In Chamber 1 I have an aquatic life 115 skimmer that sits at the perfect height using egg crate. Chamber 2 has a "shelf" made out of those plastic 3m stick on wall hooks that were epoxied to the walls which hold a piece of egg crate that i sit floss on to grab some large debris before it goes into chamber two. Below that it is full of chaeto and a powerhead. I scraped the paint off of the outside of chamber 2 for a DIY fuge light. Chamber 3 is heater and return pump.

I have the same set-up as JayEeeTeeEss, to the "T". It works really well for me. Its more beneficial to have more room for the fuge IMO.

I used chamber one for a fuge for a while it works function wise fine really no difference I think it get better flow personally but the problem is the cheto gets pretty dirty with debris cause it kinda acts like a ball of filter floss cause thats the first thing the water passes through thats why i did the change it got pretty gross pretty fast. And chamber 3 will clog up your return pump quite often. tried them all to be different and chamber 2 really is the way to go I personally dont use cheato in chamber 2 you have to use In-Tanks **BioCube Media Rack :naughtydance: and have filter floss top purigen middle and chemi-pure elite bottom thats the way to go i put sechem phoban in the middle to but thats overkill .. i did do cheato in my tank in a plastic soap dish if you have a stop that you can hide it behind some LR in the back somewere that works if you dont mind that... GD luck with your reefing have fun...

Archived