Coral Vue Hydros

Rio 6HF or Maxi-Jet 900?

mtrwmu

Hi all,

Currently I'm running the RIO 6HF in my BC29 and it sure does kick out the flow. So much so that I used a Lock Line Y on the return with a Hydor Flow coming off one side.

Problem is, I'm just not happy with the noise. I've tried numerous times to get the Rio to fit properly and it just rattles.

I'm wondering if you've had success with the MJ900. Is it quiet? I've read the there are a few more watts used and heat could be an issue (which I'm not seeing from the RIO).

I guess I could try each and see.

I put the Y on the return because with the hydor flow alone, my sand was kicking around way too much.

Thanks for the advice and thoughts!

My Rio is noisy too, I've also been thinking about switching. Maybe someone has used both and can comment?

my mj 900 is so quiet i often check too make sure its running, really.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case, the mj900 is 230gph while the rio hf6 is 350gph, you're going to lose some flow (which might be what you want). Another option is the mj1200 which puts out 290gph, closer to what you have now.

I had a rio hf6 and it too was noisy as hell so I moved it to my sump until I broke the ceramic rod while cleaning it :( The maxijets really are quieter but as you pointed out use more power.

If you do not like the Rio try the MJ1200 not the 900

I should know better than to listen to the LFS guys. I tell them, "I read a lot of people say the 1200 or rio 6hf is the way to go." They say, "No, no. 1200 way too much."

Shame on me. :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the MJ a whirl and compare.

I should know better than to listen to the LFS guys. I tell them, "I read a lot of people say the 1200 or rio 6hf is the way to go." They say, "No, no. 1200 way too much."

Shame on me. :)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to give the MJ a whirl and compare.

nope the mj900. in my bc 29 i run the mj900 as the main pump. more than enough imo.

nope the mj900. in my bc 29 i run the mj900 as the main pump. more than enough imo.

Have you tried the MJ1200?

Have you tried the MJ1200?

yep and a 400 and a 600 and an aqua clear and a quiet one.... etc. weighed power to wattage to sound 900 wins/won. B)

nano-reefer1

mj 1200 for sure i did the same upgrade but on my skimmer . and the maxi jet is dependable and wont shock your tank. ive talked to people that have had theres for 10years with no issues

Maxi-Jet 1200

• V/Hz: 120V/60Hz

• Wattage: 20W

• Max Flow: 295gph

• Max Pumping Height: 69"

• Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H

• About $25.00

Maxi-jet 900

• Wattage: 8.5W

• Max Flow: 230gph

• Max Pumping Height: 46"

• Dimensions: 3.5" L x 2" W x 3.25" H

• About $18.00

Rio 6HF

• Wattage: 15W

• Max Flow: 350gph

• Max Pumping Height: 72"

• Dimensions: 3.9" L x 2" W x 2.5" H

• About $30.00

Rio 8HF

• Wattage: 30W

• Max Flow: 550gph

• Max Pumping Height: 78"

• Dimensions: 4.4" X 2.3" X 2.8"

• About $32.00

yap spanko

see 28 gph per watt on that 900 and flow is good for tank size. i figure about 200gph due to reduction at fitting/s but i use mine with out "filter" guard so maybe up it back to 230gph? oh and very quiet. thats some really good ratio for adequate flow.

Are you guys (or gals), sure you have the impeller seated properly? I have the Rio 6HF and couldn't be happier. It replaced my maxi-jet 1200 for 2 reasons, 1.) more power and 2.) less heat. My rio is whisper quiet, my hood fans are louder. When I clean the rio, if I don't put it back together right, it does make a clicking noise. Just something to think about.

Are you guys (or gals), sure you have the impeller seated properly? I have the Rio 6HF and couldn't be happier. It replaced my maxi-jet 1200 for 2 reasons, 1.) more power and 2.) less heat. My rio is whisper quiet, my hood fans are louder. When I clean the rio, if I don't put it back together right, it does make a clicking noise. Just something to think about.

Yeah, I have played with it a few times at the beginning, but not in a few weeks. I'm due to clean everything up this weekend and will try to take apart again and put back together.

Can you describe how yours is placed into the chamber and what attachments/suction cups/tubing you have coming off it? Thanks!

I have my Rio in chamber 3 with the suction cups on. It is placed at an angle, it's a tight fit but it does go in. I have the stock tubing and it is attached to a hydor-flow rotating deflector.

When you take it apart, make sure the impeller assembly is seated tight and the ring is screwed on tight. Take a plastic container of water and place the rio in it and plug it in to see if it is running right.

I have a Rio 6HF in my BC29 and its pretty quiet. I don't use any suction cups either. The first Rio 6HF I had was really noisy. I think its hit or miss with those things. I like it because of the relatively low wattage (heat) and the high flow. See if you can exchange it for a new one like I did. If you don't want the hassle I would suggest the MJ1200 like the others have said. I don't see why the LFS would have recommended the 900 it has less flow than the stock pump. Anyway, good luck; I know the noise is really frustrating with the rio

Oh and spanko, you can get a Rio 6HF for low $20's:

http://www.marineandreef.com/6HF_HyperFlow..._p/rti00773.htm

fishdaddy0831
If you do not like the Rio try the MJ1200 not the 900

+1

I just put a MJ900 in my 12NC. Its a great pump, but I'm already planning on replacing it with the 1200. MJ900 Wont be enough flow in a 29g IMO.

I don't see why the LFS would have recommended the 900 it has less flow than the stock pump.

http://www.marineandreef.com/6HF_HyperFlow..._p/rti00773.htm

my bc29 came stock with a quiet one 800 rated 220 gph. it also was designed to operate with about a 1 foot head height. taking that into account the apx flow rate was about 175 gph. the mj900 i use now is rated at 230 gph and i operate it @ a head height of zero and with fittings removed. im sure i am at least 60 gph extra over stock.

so im not sure why you are dissing his lfs

my bc29 came stock with a quiet one 800 rated 220 gph. it also was designed to operate with about a 1 foot head height. taking that into account the apx flow rate was about 175 gph. the mj900 i use now is rated at 230 gph and i operate it @ a head height of zero and with fittings removed. im sure i am at least 60 gph extra over stock.

so im not sure why you are dissing his lfs

The point of upgrading a pump is to increase flow, not match it.

LogansRunRx

i have a Rio 6HF in my BC29 and have been happy.

it is not silent but is definately quieter than the fans -> just for perspective.

if ya don't get it wedged in there just right it is quite noisy. i don't use the suction cups either.

flow/watt can't be beat!!! (and i have to think about watts (heat) as im in Houston... the hottest, humidest place on earth)

on a completely different note...

-as flow and noise are both issues-

anybody know if any of the Eheim or Tunze pumps will fit in chamber 3???

i know the tunze's are pricy, but are supposed to be dead silent.

same witht the Eheims.

just curious... anybody using an Eheim or Tunze in the BC29???

The point of upgrading a pump is to increase flow, not match it.

i have upgraded stock flow by at least 30% maybe a lot more due to fitting removal. a 90 degree fitting can add as much as another 2 foot of head height. reduced noise and reduced wattage.

i thought that the question was about noise reasons and fear was of high wattage?

so lets ask a new question. what size and brand of power head does steviet recommend?

i have upgraded stock flow by at least 30% maybe a lot more due to fitting removal. a 90 degree fitting can add as much as another 2 foot of head height. reduced noise and reduced wattage.

i thought that the question was about noise reasons and fear was of high wattage?

so lets ask a new question. what size and brand of power head does steviet recommend?

Doesn't a 90 degree fitting restrict flow???

Doesn't a 90 degree fitting restrict flow???

yes, an easy way to calculate the rate flow is to add 2 feet of head per 90 degree fitting. but obviously this is not 100 percent true. so you might be able to get away with doing this once and its a very rough way to calculate flow at best.

Archived