inTank Media Baskets

Help - My New Dendro is acting weird

rizakaniza

Okay, so, I've had the Dendro for about 24 hrs now. He was doing wonderful all day. I even fed him some mysis with a tweezer. A few hours after I used the "Blue Life Aiptasis COntrol" I happened to notice that my largest Dendro head was looking funny. He was looking deflated and blowing in the current. I went to investigate and I touched him with the tweezer to see if he would react. He seemed to eject a white glob (his stomach contents?). {He did retract for a while after I touched him}

This is what he looked like at 3pm today

P4120128.JPG

Here's the best pics of what he looks like now

P4120131.JPG

P4120132.JPG

Please let me know if there's anything I need to do.

Water Param's are as follows:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

PH: 8.2

Total Alk: 3.5 meq

KH: 8

{Salinity: 1.026}

It'll be fine. Probably stressed/irritated a bit, try not poking him for a while. Let it chill and try feeding again in a couple of days.

Can't see it in the pics, but I'd still say leaving it alone would be the best course of action. Are any other corals reacting badly? Are you running carbon or Chemi-pure?

I just took a good look and everything else seems to be doing great.

I've got a week old medium sized bag of carbon in the sump as well as a GFO reactor with 2-3 week old media. My parameters are excellent as we speak. Maybe you're thinking chemical warfare of some sort?

I was thinking perhaps the aiptasia treatment had irritated it, but apparently not if nothing else is reacting. If it was a flow issue it would normaly receed fully, try moving it to a slightly lower flow area? Maybe you fed it before it was settled in enough...IDK. I know they don't like being touched, mine will receed for at least a day if I touch or move them.

I was thinking perhaps the aiptasia treatment had irritated it, but apparently not if nothing else is reacting. If it was a flow issue it would normaly receed fully, try moving it to a slightly lower flow area? Maybe you fed it before it was settled in enough...IDK. I know they don't like being touched, mine will receed for at least a day if I touch or move them.

Yeah, maybe he didn't like being fed today...

...he is looking slightly less horrible as we speak...

we'll see how he looks tomorrow...

To be homest, the first thing that came to my mind was that maybe some "aiptasia control" landed on one of it's tentacles and he ate some...

Okay, so, I've had the Dendro for about 24 hrs now... I even fed him ... I touched him with the tweezer to see if he would react...

Well...there's your problem.

leave it be, it'll be fine, just let it settle into your tank in peace

Michaelangelo

I agree with the above post. Also if you feed to much it will puke out what it doesn't want. Dont touch it with tweezers anymore lol.

Is the white in the pic skeleton or the white goo you were referring too?

reeftankguy

Mine does this often... I'm like "Oh Crap" something is wrong... Next day back to normal... Its even colsed up for several days and then its back to normal again... Just let it chill!

Dendros eat and excrete waste from its mouth. The more you feed it the more uneaten food it will excrete and then deflate. Its normal. Try to feed it small amounts of finely chopped meaty foods so its easier for it to digest resulting in less uneaten food and waste. Also, make sure your tweasers arent made of some sort of metal as itll rust and pollute the tank the next time you use them.

Hurray! He's alive! I fed the tank some Rod's Food today and the large head ate a piece of food and then completely reflated. Praise the Lord!

Archived