Top Shelf Aquatics

Another FIRST SW Tank Suggestion thread!

Taktix1

Hi all! Just purchased my first fish tank...ever. Been reading a lot (and it's been extremely overwhelming), and trying to just gain as much knowledge as possible. Below is what I have or plan to buy. I would like some suggestions if possible!

Tank: Fluval Edge 6G

Rock/Sand: 7lbs rock/2" sand (not sure what kind of rock to get or sand)

Heater: Hagen Fluval Edge 25 W Compact Submersible Aquarium Heater

Thermometer: Not sure which one to buy

Powerhead: I'm still unsure what this exactly is. From what I read, it basically pumps fresh water into the tank? is this something I really need?

Test kits: What test kits are needed?

Salt: any recommendations?

Lighting: Illum MR-11 LED Light Bulb 2-Watt (Cree® XLamp® XRE LED)

I'm trying to have possibly 2 fish and anything else I can fit. Not sure what other things I can have in a 6G tank. Just want to keep it simple and as colorful as possible. So far I'd like to have one of the fish be a clown fish (as small as possible).

Suggestions needed/welcomed! Thank you!

That tank is a bit hard to get properly lit while keeping the "stock" look. Read up on some of the noob how-to's and learn the "how's and why's".

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/

You will need Live Sand and Live rock. Get that from a good LFS.

The powerhead moves water within the tank. Think waves crashing (with less waves). Corals need water movement to bring food and oxygen to them.

You will find different opinions on test kits. API Reef Master kit or Salt water Master kit would be fine.

You will want to understand and test for Specific Gravity, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, PH, Calcium, Karbonate Hardness (KH). oh, and temperature.

BTW, that tank may be a bit cramped for a clown.

Welcome to Nano-Reef :welcome:

I would focus on one fish and some cool inverts rather then 2 fish. Overfeeding and waste build up can be a big problem in little tanks. Plus you will be busy enough with keeping temps stable and topping off fresh ro/di water.

A power head is like an underwater fan which creates water movement, which is very important for keeping a healthy reef tank.

Invest in a small RO/DI unit and don't get any fish or corals until your tank has been up and running for at least a few weeks.

power heads move water around in the tank.. thiss would be their main purpose.. they can be arranged to add and remove water from the tank but for your 6g edge you will just be moving water around (creating extra current in the tank)

You will need a basic marine test kit.. this will include all the basics except maybe ammonia. (if no ammonia purchase it seperately you do need it)

Salt you will get 100 different answers from (or atleast as many reasons why ppl use what they do)

Pick which ever brand fits your budget to start with since your going to be cycling the tank a bit before adding live stock.. this will give you time to educate yourself better on salts and choose the one best for what you want to keep.

Rock/sand choices are abundant as well.

Personally I love the diversity you get with fresh sand and rock from a distributor like tampabaysaltwater.com or sealifeinc.com i think is another some ppl like on here as well. Just dont go through justliverock.com that dude is a rip off. Choose a well known reputable internet store or local fish store. You will want to make sure you ask for PICO sized rocks since you have a small opening to fit everything through.

Thermometer any mercury thermometer at your LFS will work fine.

and please dont put a clown fish in a 6 gal tank. By the time you put in sand and rock and equipment there is only 3-4 gal of actual water in there.. so not enough for a messy clown. Think about 1-2 in gobies .. or a goby/shrimp pair.. or sexy shrimp maybe..

Hope these help.. now start doing some searches on this site.. search for your specific questions.. then ask if still confused..

Good luck and Welcome to Nano reef!!

I would get evils par 38 led lamp :) that would be nice. Um get a koralia nano for flow..... Salt, I use instant ocean reef crystals. Thermometers, hmm I like the coralife digital. Fiji live sand and rock looks nice. For the cycle you will need to test nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, and pH. After the cycle you will need to test other things-calcium, alkalinity, phosophate. API and Salifert make good test kits, I have heard Red sea tesk kits suck. I use the API saltwater master kit and Api reef master kit. They work fine. Fish, maybe 1 small clown, and a black or yellow clown goby? Check out foster and smiths nano fish section on liveaquaria.com.

My pennies

Good Luck!

Caveat: I'm a newbie, so take my answers with a grain of (sea) salt!

Vanuatu and Tonga rock are both nice and light and porous. Based on my understanding of biological filtration, light and porous is what you want in live rock. Fiji rock is another common choice, though it is one of the densest live rocks around, and so ends up being a less active biological filter than the lighter ones. Your choices in live rock will vary depending on whether you want cured or uncured, fresh or established. It will also vary depending on whether you can get decent live rock in your area, or will need to be mail ordering it! I ended up ordering mine from the other side of the country becuase I wanted it uncured, fresh, and wanted Vanuatu in particular. It just wasn't easily available here, but I am paying an arm and a leg for it! Well over $10/pound with overnight shipping! If you check out craigslist and kijiji or local reff clubs, you can probably buy some from a fellow aquarists established tank for less than half that, so you'll need to figure this one out for yourself!

People have told me not to bother with live sand, but it's only a few dollars more per bag than "dead" sand, so I can't really see why not to get it. If it helps reduce your cycle length and save life on the live rock as you go through the cycle, that seems like it's worth it for a few dollars difference.

If money isn't an issue, I would personally go with a digital thermometer with remote sensor. Minimizes the amount of space taken up in your tank, gives you a quick and easy check wheneveer you want, and eliminates any risk of the thermometer breaking and poisoning the tank with mercury!

Also, with a 6G tank, IMHO you don't need to bother with an RO/DI unit. Distilled or RO/DI water can be purchased easily and cheaply most places, and since the tank is small, you won't ever be buying more than a gallon or two per week for water changes once you're through your cycle. At let's say $0.50/gallon, that's a buck a week. RO/DI units start around $75 for a tiny decent one, so it'll be a year and a half before you'll see any sort of savings from it! Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Good luck with your tank!

Also, with a 6G tank, IMHO you don't need to bother with an RO/DI unit. Distilled or RO/DI water can be purchased easily and cheaply most places, and since the tank is small, you won't ever be buying more than a gallon or two per week for water changes once you're through your cycle. At let's say $0.50/gallon, that's a buck a week. RO/DI units start around $75 for a tiny decent one, so it'll be a year and a half before you'll see any sort of savings from it! Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Good luck with your tank!

You can do this but.... if you buy the water from one of those machine things, you don't know when they last changed the filter, that filter could be 3 months old and your buying crappy water. We just ordered an ro/di after using tap water for 2 years, in our tank the alkalinity is 12 (too high) the nitrates constantly stay above 20, b/c of our tap water, even when using prime

Thank you for all the FANTASTIC tips! This forum has been a joy to read, learn, and get some much needed help! As for RO/DI, I'm glad to hear with such a small tank a RO/DI unit isnt a necessity (i did have to look up what RO/DI was lol, too many acronyms). I still would really like to have a clown fish, are there any types of them that are naturally smaller? If I had a very small clown fish and a clown goby would I be able to fit anything else in there? (doesnt necessarily have to be fish).

spleenman: do you have a link to where you bought your LR/LS?

Thanks again to all!

You can do this but.... if you buy the water from one of those machine things, you don't know when they last changed the filter, that filter could be 3 months old and your buying crappy water. We just ordered an ro/di after using tap water for 2 years, in our tank the alkalinity is 12 (too high) the nitrates constantly stay above 20, b/c of our tap water, even when using prime

It's true, you do have to buy it from a place you trust. LFS (Local/Live fish stores) will sell you there tank water generally, and some of them will sell you RO/DI from there RO/DI unit as well. Around here, that runs $0.50/gallon at the good local guys. I bought my water (first time, yesterday) from a local chain of Pharmacies (PharmaPrix). It's factory bottled distilled water, not RO/DI, and they're a country wide chain, so I trust them. Hope I'm not making a mistake, but I tried all day to find somewhere to buy RO/DI water that wasn't an hour drive across town and couldn't. I HAD to get my water mixed last night because my rock is arriving today.

Thank you for all the FANTASTIC tips! This forum has been a joy to read, learn, and get some much needed help! As for RO/DI, I'm glad to hear with such a small tank a RO/DI unit isnt a necessity (i did have to look up what RO/DI was lol, too many acronyms). I still would really like to have a clown fish, are there any types of them that are naturally smaller? If I had a very small clown fish and a clown goby would I be able to fit anything else in there? (doesnt necessarily have to be fish).

spleenman: do you have a link to where you bought your LR/LS?

Thanks again to all!

I got mine from www.jlaquatic.com, but it's in Canada, Vancouver, BC specifially. Where are you located?

They just got the rock in Saturday afternoon, so it's about as fresh as I could find! I do believe they ship to the states, but there may be better places to get your rock down there!

I got mine from www.jlaquatic.com, but it's in Canada, Vancouver, BC specifially. Where are you located?

They just got the rock in Saturday afternoon, so it's about as fresh as I could find! I do believe they ship to the states, but there may be better places to get your rock down there!

I live in the Washington DC area, so shipping might be a lot. Thanks for the link though!

On another note, what do I need so that I can properly have water to do the standard 10-20% water replacement weekly? An extra heater, bucket. anything else?

Archived