Top Shelf Aquatics

Cree's new XM line of LED's

redfishsc

Check this out, y'all.

Wouldn't it be sweet if they produced this in cool white AND royal blue? I doubt the blue will happen, unfortunately, but the cool white is a sure bet.

If Nanotuners is watching, this is going to be the ticket for a quick-n-easy fuge light if you can streamline the driver (and dimmer?) enough to make it nearly plug-n-play.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Cree-Announc...=pf-family-home

Press Release Source: Cree, Inc. On Monday April 12, 2010, 2:00 am EDT

DURHAM, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE - News), a market leader in LED lighting, announces a breakthrough new lighting-class LED platform, the XLamp® XM LED. This new single chip LED delivers record-breaking efficacy of 160 lumens per watt at 350 mA. The LED also delivers 750 lumens at 2 A, which is equivalent to the light output of a 60 W incandescent light bulb at less than 7 watts.

“This new platform continues Cree’s well-established record of turning R&D innovations into products,” said Chuck Swoboda, Cree chairman and CEO. “We continue to set the pace for LED performance, establishing new benchmarks that make you wonder why anyone would consider last-century’s energy-wasting technology.”

A cool white XM LED driven at 350 mA can produce 160 lumens at 160 lumens per watt. The new platform has a larger footprint than Cree’s XP family and also offers the unique combination of very high efficacy at very high drive currents. At 2 A, an XM LED produces 750 lumens at 110 lumens per watt. The thermal resistance of the XM platform is 2 degrees C per watt— an industry-leading technology breakthrough and a 350 percent improvement over Cree’s flagship XLamp XP-E LED.

Samples of the XLamp XM LEDs are available for order with standard lead times and commercial availability is targeted for Fall 2010.

Don't worry. XR-E's are still more than powerful enough for our applications. The XMs will be sweet, but they need a royal blue in the same series to keep us happy :)

Yeah, we need a corresponding blue, or things get complicated. High powered cool-whites are all over the place, but royal blue options are very limited.

Cree still hasn't released a RB XP-G have they?

I'm kind of thinking I should wait a few years to do my LED build. Cree keeps outdoing themselves every few months. Just think... in a years time I bet this will be considered to be innefficient for LED's.

I'm kind of thinking I should wait a few years to do my LED build. Cree keeps outdoing themselves every few months.

Uh, please re-phrase that to "Cree keeps making press releases every few months to keep interest in their stock high". Note how they compare the efficiency of the XM to an incandescent bulb in their latest press release. Any idiot knows that neutral and warm-white emitters are what they should be comparing and take a HUGE efficiency penalty over the cool-whites. It's called marketing.

Cree is doing some killer R&D, but it's only slowly trickling down to us and it's at the edge of the efficacy per dollar envelope and rather expensive in terms of lumen per dollar. Again, cool-white emitters are already absurdly cheap and efficient because they have deficient spectrums. Unless Cree makes some radical improvement in royal blue and we actually get it in our hands I'm really not expecting much to change in the next year.

^ I'm not sure the reason Cree compares them to an incandescent is as dubious as you seem to think.

The reason they are comparing them to incandescent bulbs is because that's what many things are compared to (like CF spirals that say "100 watt equivalent)----- and because everyone knows, generally, what light you get out of a 60 watt incandescent bulb.

And +1 to not much changing in the next year.

Anyone wanting to do an LED diy rig, now is as good a time as any. Our LED's are quite capable of frying corals already. The more high power ones like the MC-E and the XM show a lot of future potential because they'd not require sharp angle optics to punch light to the bottom-- ie, you can probably get a lot more coverage per LED.

Plus, the higher output means that we can run the LEDs at lower currents that will increase life and save energy. It will also reduce the complexity for manufacturers for thermal management.

Blasterman, the hit in efficiency from cool to neutral to warm white isn't that bad really. Their focus does seem to be in the cool white developement for some reason, which is odd considering the commercial lighting market isn't as tollerant to that high of a color temp. This is where Luxeon is really cleaning up. I'm not complaining too much about the cool white developement though :)

The reason they are comparing them to incandescent bulbs is because that's what many things are compared to

They are making the comparison because it's marketing hype and keeps interest in their stock.

A classic example of what you speak are CFLs being compared to classic Incans, but the big difference is CFLs have warm-white versions and nobody buys the 6500k version unless it's for their garage. Even the Cree based streetlights the have downtown using cool white emitters are totally fugly and have us screaming for 4100k metal halide. Reefing is one of the rare applications where cool white emitters have a practical value, and even that's secondary given the absence of royal blue in the newer platforms.

If Intel followed Cree's approach all the latests processors would only be able to run 16-bit code, and you'd have to wait 6-months before 32-bit and 64-bit capable processors would hit the market. Yet everybody would be raving about the press release benchmarks of 16-bit code even though nothing really useful can run on it. That's a good analogy to cool white emitters.

Plus, the higher output means that we can run the LEDs at lower currents that will increase life and save energy.

Seriously Evil, are you going to re-tool your PAR 38s every time Cree announces the next incremental line of LEDs? It would take a jump from XR-E to XM to even consider being worth it. If you have a stockpile of drivers optimized for the Vf of older emitters like larger fixture makers typically have it might take a long time before the switch is worth it.

Blasterman, the hit in efficiency from cool to neutral to warm white isn't that bad really.

XP-G get's decimated going from cool to warm-white. We had a thread on this over at CandlePower... something like 135 lumens per watt down to 85. So, if the XM follows course, the neutral and warm-white versions won't have substantial improvement over the XP-G. This is why I get irritated when Cree announces new emitter technology with a spectrum response on a single phosphor 1978 fluorescent tube.

No, neutrals and warm-whites don't have much application in the reefing world, so I'm speaking in the context of the broader lighting market. Improvements in cool-white emitters obviously have more direct benefit to reefers, but without the corresponding royals it's not that big a deal either.

Never said I was planning on retooling anything to take advantage of anything newer than what we are running now. New products will use the LED that is suited to the application, whether it's the latest and greatest or not. All I stated was that future desgns have the potential for being more efficient while maintaning the same performance. You are reading too far into this stuff.

I must admit that I haven't been folling the specs on the new warm and cool white XP-Gs. XR-E performance has been pretty good going from one color temp to another.

XP-G get's decimated going from cool to warm-white. We had a thread on this over at CandlePower... something like 135 lumens per watt down to 85. So, if the XM follows course, the neutral and warm-white versions won't have substantial improvement over the XP-G. This is why I get irritated when Cree announces new emitter technology with a spectrum response on a single phosphor 1978 fluorescent tube.

While this is fine and dandy for the guys building flashlights, I'd be more interested to see PAR numbers between the three common spectral LED flavors. Red light holds a pretty powerful "multiplier" in terms of PAR, but when it comes to lumens, it means nothing (stupid human eye).

Numbers alone are meaningless unless given an application. I understand your frustration, but try comparing generation to generation for warm and neutral, and ignore the shiny numbers alone. Take into account HOW one measures lumens and how this relates to the "output power" of the LED.

Either way, Cree has entirely too many paper launches. I'd rather see product at the time of announcement, not "Hey, we did this in the lab". Unless they're doing something super special, I don't care about their incremental upgrades if I can't buy it.

• 3 weeks later...

Irregardless of any of the arguments this advance makes the current generation 2nd generation and things get cheaper. Another advantage to more lumens per watt in most cases drivers cost you about 1$ per watt to drive. IMO when building lighting systems I'm looking at cost per lumen including the cost of the driver and any optics that could be required. Obviously if things continue on you this way Getting 100 lumens per watt not only gets cheaper but cooler and requires less heat sinking which also reduces net cost.

• 5 months later...

They should be ready in November. Mostly in cool white apparently

Unfortunately the last thing I need is more cool white, I hope they have a warm or neutral option.

That, and I don't have a driver spare that can deliver up to 3.0A although there are some available on Dealextreme and such.

And as said before, if they don't come out with a royal blue in this, our chances of using them are limited for reef keepers. For refugiums they'd be perfect, as well as for planted fw tanks (although they really do need some blue to look right IMO).

http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XM-L

Cree loves to make press releases to keep their shareholders happy.

As has been stated many times, cool-white LEDs are typically measured in lumens, and lumens don't mean much to corals. Unless there's a RB counterpart (they don't exist for XPG so why hold our breath) they won't mean much for reefing. Unless you actually like your tank lit by only cool-whites.

The constant press releases by Cree are further annoying because the lighting market for cool white is pretty limited unless you are selling solid-state street lights. Why doesn't Cree make announcements for neutral white or warm white? Answer: because these are far less efficient.

I send an E-mail to Cree's sales department everytime I see a press release like this asking me how many of them have cool-white LEDs in their homes. I mean, a lot of the LED makers do this, but Cree is the worst offender.

Cree loves to make press releases to keep their shareholders happy.

As has been stated many times, cool-white LEDs are typically measured in lumens, and lumens don't mean much to corals. Unless there's a RB counterpart (they don't exist for XPG so why hold our breath) they won't mean much for reefing. Unless you actually like your tank lit by only cool-whites.

The constant press releases by Cree are further annoying because the lighting market for cool white is pretty limited unless you are selling solid-state street lights. Why doesn't Cree make announcements for neutral white or warm white? Answer: because these are far less efficient.

I send an E-mail to Cree's sales department everytime I see a press release like this asking me how many of them have cool-white LEDs in their homes. I mean, a lot of the LED makers do this, but Cree is the worst offender.

I don't understand all the Cree hating here. Why would you expect them to make a hubbubb about a less efficient light (warm/neutral) when they are just showing off what they can do.

Chevy touts their Corvette Z06 and Camaro Z28 when they want to show off their fastest cars--- even though they don't sell as many Z06 and Z28's as they do their lesser powerful versions---- Dodge shows off their big V10 or Diesel Ram when they want to show off their strongest towing vehicles-- not the cheezy V6 models. I don't see them doing anything wrong.

And like it's been repeated several times in this thread, we'd definitely like to see a RB made in this format. But it probably won't happen.

I don't understand all the Cree hating here.

What Cree 'hating' is that? Just because NR isn't like RC where anytime you disagree with their resident Cree zeolot gets you banned doesn't mean you're 'hating'. The 'Cree hype' that's evident in the reefing industry is still ridiculous and is actually hurting progress in some areas.

Why would you expect them to make a hubbubb about a less efficient light (warm/neutral) when they are just showing off what they can do.

Because the only thing low CRI Cool-White technology is good for in large scale is street lights and parking garages, not lighting places human being live in. I don't see fluorescent tube makers bragging about low CRI 6000k tubes (unles this is still 1978), so I frankly don't get the double standard with LEDs. Also, it's just been until recently that CW's were forced down everybody's throat in DIY, and now were seeing there are other options that work just as good, if not better in some cases.

Cree makes these press releases assuming the people reading them will falsely connect the dot's and think they will soon be able to buy '160 lumen per watt' light bulbs with a pleasant color cast. This also keeps investors hopefully buying their stock because they are being "so innovative". Even Bridgelux and Luxeon are starting to get away from Cool White centric marketing because they're realizing their audiece is getting smarter. I resent any tech company that issues press releases on the basis of their audience being stupid.

Chevy touts their Corvette Z06 and Camaro Z28 when they want to show off their fastest cars

....And if GM marketed Corvette's and Camaro's like Cree does CW techology their fuel mileage would be determined via rolling them down a 10degree incline. :P

And like it's been repeated several times in this thread, we'd definitely like to see a RB made in this format.

If enough people started screaming at Cree that they wanted a RB emitter in a newer format Cree would probably start making them. Another way to get this message across is start using other products because the current mentality of 'have to use Cree for reefing even if it's only XRE' isn't eactly an incentive for them to do this. See what I mean?

Archived