Coral Vue Hydros

Roxy's 3g Picotope

rockhead01

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

So after a long hiatus and moving to Boston, I'm finally back! The tank is now drilled and has a glass lily pipe for the return and a clear pvc bulkhead for the outflow. There is 5.5g sump that is split in half, using 2g as an ato reservoir and 2.5g as a sump with a phos-ban reactor running chemi pure elite and phosban and a 150w JBJ true temp heater with thermostat. I've also filled the sump up with a bunch of LR rubble to help my filtration. The newest edition is a Evil's 38 Par bulb with a neo arm fixture.

My corals are looking pretty pathetic and I lost quite a few during the move. I ended up having a mini cycle that wiped out quite a few. Tank parameters are stable now and I just recently added the sweetest little male and female harlequin shrimp pair as the showcase in my pico. Here are some pics of how the tank is currently looking now. I'll post more as I restock.

1.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks Animalmaster6 & Mr. Microscope!

Yep that is green goniopora and has been growing for 8 months. Stuff loves a dirty tank so it is lov'in my pico! =) I feed the harlequin shrimps a small to med chocolate chip star every 2-3 weeks. They are messy little eaters, but I love them!

Looks great. Jealous. But holy filled to the rim. One bump of the table its on and it will splash. How do you move stuff in the tank without making a mess?

Added a few new corals this week. Here is an updated FTS. The star polyp freakin rocks under these LED lights, but it's really really hard to get decent photos. Ugh..

1-1.jpg

New monti cap with purple polyps.

2-1.jpg

This rocks!

3-1.jpg

I'm jealous that you can keep them in this pico. But the question is how long. I have always thought that they would outgrow a 3 gallon and that they are too messy to keep in a small tank. Thats why I have not considered keeping them myself.

I'm jealous that you can keep them in this pico. But the question is how long. I have always thought that they would outgrow a 3 gallon and that they are too messy to keep in a small tank. Thats why I have not considered keeping them myself.

+1

I really want some harlequins for my 5.5 but hear they are very messy and can easily pollute small tanks. Any further experience would be greatly appreciated.

also Sweet tank :P

Harlequins grow no bigger than an 1" to 1 1/2" so they should not outgrow my tank. With the sump included my system holds about 5.5 gallons of water, so there is some worry there because they ARE very messy eaters. I feed them a star every 3 weeks and the week that they have a star and are eating it, I do daily water chemistry and as soon as I see nitrates I do daily waters changes of 1 gallon as well. By the time they have finished their star the nitrates spike to 20ppm, but within 2-3 days it goes back down to 0-5ppm. I've began vodka dosing to this system in hopes that it will feed the bacteria colony and keep it strong while I have 0 nitrates in the system and to help with the spike. BTW my sump is also stocked with lots of live rock for added bacteria. I've only had them for 2 months and have done 2 feedings, but this system seems to work well so far.

I also just bought a mini internal skimmer which should hopefully help with nitrate spike.

looks like youre going hardcore on the waste and nitrates they produce, which is very smart. I wish to see this work for many more months to come, keep at it rockhead01 :)

Archived