Top Shelf Aquatics

Roxy's 3g Picotope

rockhead01

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o right I remember to ask about that tube worm you have. What kind is it? I saw one just like it in my LFS yesterday (of course smaller and not as awesome as yours, but the same species). Also what do you feed it?

rockhead01
o right I remember to ask about that tube worm you have. What kind is it? I saw one just like it in my LFS yesterday (of course smaller and not as awesome as yours, but the same species). Also what do you feed it?

I believe it is a caribbean feather duster. I don't actually feed him much. I add DT's about once a week otherwise I think he just eats from the tank.

Just a side note: I did not place the feather duster where he currently resides. He uh..relocated himself and then proceeded to fused his tube to two different rocks, so now I can't move him. The little bugger!

I like your livestock, if only i knew what most of them were...

In the pic in day 70 you have this yellow/orange branch-y thing with white "flowers" in the center left of the tank...what is that?

i'm probably going to ask you about a few other things you have in your tank too...looks like stuff i am going to want to put in mine

rockhead01
I like your livestock, if only i knew what most of them were...

In the pic in day 70 you have this yellow/orange branch-y thing with white "flowers" in the center left of the tank...what is that?

i'm probably going to ask you about a few other things you have in your tank too...looks like stuff i am going to want to put in mine

Sure thing, ask away! The yellow coral with white flowers is a yellow deepwater gorgonian. It has to be fed and is non-photosynthetic.

thanks! ok, here comes a lot of questions

- what happened to the gorgonian, i no longer see it...i checked live aquaria and couldn't find this one in particular, and the one i did find that looks like it was photosynthetic and i believe just needed some low dosing for food , it didn't require it feeding...i am interested in the one you have tho, it looks really cool

- in your first post, the pics of "some corals", you have a frogspawn, some zoas, then what are the next two: looks like a cool mushroom/zoa hybrid, then the next is the green SPS looking thing

- then on the second page, full tank shot: what is on the far left that looks like it could be a neon toadstool, and the softy on the top right

thanks again

rockhead01
thanks! ok, here comes a lot of questions

- what happened to the gorgonian, i no longer see it...i checked live aquaria and couldn't find this one in particular, and the one i did find that looks like it was photosynthetic and i believe just needed some low dosing for food , it didn't require it feeding...i am interested in the one you have tho, it looks really cool

- in your first post, the pics of "some corals", you have a frogspawn, some zoas, then what are the next two: looks like a cool mushroom/zoa hybrid, then the next is the green SPS looking thing

- then on the second page, full tank shot: what is on the far left that looks like it could be a neon toadstool, and the softy on the top right

thanks again

I moved the gorgonian to my mantis tank.

IMG_5086.jpg

Here is the link where you can buy it Gorgonian

In the third pic down in the corals section is actually a flower or rock anemone and the green sps is called a Birds Nest Coral. They are both for sale at the link above. The next two you asked about, are green star polyps and the huge thing on the right is goniopora commonly called a flowerpot coral. I think those were the two you were referring too?

Your tank is soooo awsome! Lol i think you have a youtube vid up. If that is your tank i c that vid about 3 time a day wail at work! Its beautiful! Am about 40 days into my picotope. But nowhere near your! Lol wat is your water change cycle?

rockhead01
Your tank is soooo awsome! Lol i think you have a youtube vid up. If that is your tank i c that vid about 3 time a day wail at work! Its beautiful! Am about 40 days into my picotope. But nowhere near your! Lol wat is your water change cycle?

Thank you Cees! I do a WC once or twice a week. Twice depending on how much I feed. I ususally change out 3 liters on Sat or Sun and 2 liters on Wed or Thur.

pretty sweet pico man. starting to compete with el fabs. that fiddler is frickin awesome!

Thanks Badfish! That's a pretty stellar compliment!

Everytime I see your name I can't help but sing the tune from Sublime.."Two pints of booze, tell me are you a badfish too.."

rockhead01

Meet Gobbles, the Lord & Master of my picotope. Here is a video of the little piglet eating baby brine shrimp!

Also here are my two new additions for this week.

purpledeath.jpg

Purple Death Palys

yuma.jpg

Green and purple yuma ricordea.

rockhead01

Well the construction of my sump has begun. Over the last few weeks I've been collecting equipment that I'm going to use. The tank is a 5.5 gallon that I'm going to use as the sump & ATO reservoir. In the pic below you can see how I sectioned off the tank. Roughly half of the tank is to be used as the reservoir while the other half will be used as a sump. I split the sump area into 3 chambers, one to hold the chiller, heater & phosphate reactor, one to serve as a small refugium where I will stash some chaeto, and the last one for the return pump.

I also bought an over flow box that will gravity feed the sump in the cabinet below. My equipment list for the sump so far:

CoolWorks Micro Chiller

CPR C50 Over Flow Box

JBJ 150w True Temp Heater

Two Fishes Phosban Reactor

JBJ ATO System

AC20 Filled with Chemi-Pure Elite

I'll take more pics once the system is set up.

IMG_5193.jpg

UPDATE :So I've decided I hate the overflow box. It is so big and ugly, it is going back to the store. Instead I found a glass shop that will drill a hole for me. My picotope is in the shop now and I'm anxiously awaiting its return! (All in one piece, I hope) To replace the overflow I bought a clear pvc bulkhead for my outflow and a ADA lily pipe for my return. We sill see how it works out. In the mean time I moved everything out of my pico and relocated it to the jelly tank. (I still have one jelly!) Needless to say Gobbles is very upset about his recent move. He won't even take his favorite treat from me right now, he loves krill heads. He is such a weirdo! Anyway the tank is bare-bottom and he can't walk on the glass and refuses to leave the little rock cave I made him. Well hopefully his vacation to the jelly tank will be short. The jelly really freaks him out! I'll post more soon.

i just read your jelly thread the other day front to finish. sorry bout the jellies. my wife refuses to touch the tank for that very reason. lookin forward to seein the upgraded tank.

I forgot to mention that the fiddler went MIA a few weeks back. When I emptied the tank to have it drilled I found his remains, all that was left was a shell and a few leg parts. My Gobbles is a mean little SOB. The next tank I'm going to build specifically to house fiddlers or some other crab that needs to be out of the water. With no bullies to eat them.

Anyway, I'm waiting on the last plumbing parts to come in and should have this bad boy back together soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Yay me!! The bulkhead is installed and ready to go! Just waiting on the lily pipe and I should have this bad boy up and running!

IMG_5238.jpg

Archived