Phosban Reactor running Phosban

Phosban Reactor running Rox 8.0 Carbon

JBJ ATO

JBJ True Temp Titanium Heater

PAR 38 LED w/Neo Arm Fixture

Vortech MP10

5lbs Tahitian Moon Sand

10lbs Live Rock

________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a photo journal of my picotope started on January 1st, 2010. I originally was trying to use the stock lighting & filter, but quickly realized that was not going to work for me. So I now use an AC20 along side the stock filter which is used only as a makeshift power head (no filter media inside). I also upgraded the light to the Coralife 12" 36W. As you can see from the pics below I've been having fun mixing things up!

Enjoy!

Day 1

post-51417-1271117211_thumb.jpg

Day 23

post-51417-1271117355_thumb.jpg

Day 47

post-51417-1271117431_thumb.jpg

Day 70

post-51417-1271117466_thumb.jpg

Day 100

post-51417-1271117597_thumb.jpg

Some of the corals.

post-51417-1271117653_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1271117681_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1271117715_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1271117758_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1271117796_thumb.jpg

post-51417-1271117834_thumb.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Microscope

Wow. I can't believe how fast that was stocked. Corals on day 10?? You must not have had much of a cycle. I really like the big purple featherduster in the middle. Good choice on the substrate too. I wish I had gone with a darker substrate. The white stuff is hard to photograph.

Can you tell us a little more about what you are doing to maintain the tank? Water changes? Dosing?

Thanks! My cycle only lasted for about 5 days. I waited 5 days and then started to stock. It's addicting! The feather duster is one of my favs too!

pismo_reefer

you know, initially,

I was gonna come in here and complain about all the picotope threads....

BUT,

I leev impressed.

:happy:

Very impressive! Was there any mod that you made with the legs of the coralife fixture?

Is that some kind of a moonlight underneath the fixture?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the +++ feedback! I have to admit I was a little nervous posting my little bit of ocean for the world to see. Its a work in progress. This is my first SW tank.

I do water changes every few days depending on the feeding cycle. I feed everyone live brine shrimp once or twice a week, which usually means I have to do a WC the next day. Once a week I scrub the sides down and shake out the filer media. Other than that, I just watch my little world for hours on end.

I used the aqualight deluxe fixture legs in the front of the tank and have the back end of the light fixture resting on the two filters. There is a moonlight that I modified to fit underneath, but it's beam is very narrow and I'm looking to upgrade to something else that will illuminate more of the tank. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

wait you put a 150w viper that close on a picotope?? be careful with those temps!!!

but that aside, nice tank ;)

what brand microchiller and how much. I got a pico too but havent found a reasonable chiller for it yet. thanks- tank looks awesome by the way.

rockhead01
what brand microchiller and how much. I got a pico too but havent found a reasonable chiller for it yet. thanks- tank looks awesome by the way.

Thanks! I bought the CoolWorks Microchiller and temperature controller. I think it is going to work perfect!

hahaximmaxfish
Thanks! I bought the CoolWorks Microchiller and temperature controller. I think it is going to work perfect!

I run a humidafire right next to my tank (well on the florr next to it anyways..) it keeps the temps steady when mom actually decides to heat the house!

Good job buy the way! Do you recomend the Viper *music of doom!!!* ?

rockhead01
I run a humidafire right next to my tank (well on the florr next to it anyways..) it keeps the temps steady when mom actually decides to heat the house!

Good job buy the way! Do you recomend the Viper *music of doom!!!* ?

Thanks! I'm going to have to endorse the viper. I like it. I do wish the bulb ran a little bluer though, but that is an easy fix

rockhead01
Cool clam. How big is it?

The clam is about 1.5 inches long. Thought he was purple at the store, but he looks blue to me! Score!

Archived