Innovative Marine Aquariums

New LR, possible hitchiker zoa?

nickijon

Just got some beautiful live rock to add into my tank that has been cycling for almost two months now. So far the tank just has a HOB filter (with chaeto), LR, and 4 snails.

Pics!

Zoa

ZEQgm.jpg

Sweeper-thing hydroids?

QjZy6.jpg

Tank shot for size context

OulCG.jpg

Ideas!

Great; then the consensus is some kind of unidentifiable Palythoa for the first one, and Pseudocorynactis for the second one.

Is the Psuedo projected to grow up to 6 in? One of the sources seemed to be saying this.

The question now, should I keep or destroy them?

Great; then the consensus is some kind of unidentifiable Palythoa for the first one, and Pseudocorynactis for the second one.

Is the Psuedo projected to grow up to 6 in? One of the sources seemed to be saying this.

The question now, should I keep or destroy them?

2nd one is def. a Pseudocorynactis, if you google for Ball Anemone, you can get some better pics. I have a couple in my tank and I just let them be. Maybe the peppermints will eat them. From what I read, they can pack quite a punch.

• 4 weeks later...

Some new zoas to ID--Some (slightly better) pictures!

• Taken under 6500K fluorescent lighting
  • Zoas have been in the tank for at least 2 weeks (maybe true colors are showing by now)
  • Paly has been in the tank since beginning of cycle, roughly late February '10

Paly

kKl7Q.jpg

vIWYj.jpg

Have fun!

why are you using 6500K lights? that wont support many corals

Very true--It's a temporary solution.

I am working on an 8 LED fixture at the moment. Just waiting for the heatsinks to come in. ETA is roughly 5/14/10.

All other supplies for it slowly trickled in over the last two months. :)

Any idea of what this is? The person I got it from on this forum wasn't exactly sure either.

mMwXT.jpg

:)

• 2 weeks later...
The Acan or the what looks to be an albino Trochus Snail?

lol Albino huh? I purchased it actually as an astrea snail. It looks pretty young...and seems to have come from a really clean system. It's a lazy little fellow. My other Astrea that actually has coralline and stuff on its shell is much more active in the cleaning department.

I was actually thinking about the acan. How do you tell the diff. between an acan and a lobo? Are lobo's all connected whereas this one has disjoined heads?

nice aquascape.

Thanks! It has changed since then. I think the pics here had about 4 pounds of LR. I got two more large pieces and a few small ones. I think i'm going to rescape it a tiny bit again sometime...

Archived