Top Shelf Aquatics

White growth on live rock

osofast

Seems to be hard, and has spread over the past few days, seems to be on one rock and maybe where it was broken away from a much bigger piece....not sure. Almost like it is healing itself ?

Ammo is 0

Nitrite is 0

Nitrate is 0

ph swings from7.8-8.2 depending on time of day it seems

calcium is low 360

kh is 10

phos is 0

here is a pic of the rock in question:

post-50320-1271112769_thumb.jpg

close-ups

post-50320-1271112806_thumb.jpg

post-50320-1271112824_thumb.jpg

post-50320-1271112852_thumb.jpg

How long has that rock been in there? If it hasn't been long some of it could have just died off. Its hard to tell if the rock is white or its definatly something growing ontop of the existing rock.

Seems to be hard, and has spread over the past few days, seems to be on one rock and maybe where it was broken away from a much bigger piece....not sure. Almost like it is healing itself ?

Ammo is 0

Nitrite is 0

Nitrate is 0

ph swings from7.8-8.2 depending on time of day it seems

calcium is low 360

kh is 10

phos is 0

here is a pic of the rock in question:

post-50320-1271112769_thumb.jpg

close-ups

post-50320-1271112806_thumb.jpg

post-50320-1271112824_thumb.jpg

post-50320-1271112852_thumb.jpg

mbarton2010

This is a brand new tank from the looks. It looks like the white is just rock. The real question is why is there a fish and snails in there already?

northstar1357
This is a brand new tank from the looks. It looks like the white is just rock. The real question is why is there a fish and snails in there already?

Using damsel to cycle?

It could be just the rock. Also when coralline dies off it will turn white. And if you had the rocks out of water for a while while moving them to your tank from teh LFS or someting like that you may have had some die off.

It's hard to tell from the pics for sure. but it's noting to worry about.

littlelacho

I am not that experienced but my guess would be, if the rock has turned white then it is probably coralline die off. That happened to some of my rock recently as my tank is only about a month old.

Derekcaudill
I am not that experienced but my guess would be, if the rock has turned white then it is probably coralline die off. That happened to some of my rock recently as my tank is only about a month old.

+1

looks like a rock to me...

I wouldn't worry about it. It looks like you haven't even hit any diatom bloom or algae. Give it some time.

Mbarton2010

The tank is now 7 weeks old, I waited out my cycle before adding any snail or fish, the liverock came from a local fish store and it was never really out of the water. It was taken from there tank and put in a bucket of tank water covered and made a 20 min. road trip and then went in to the tank. My cycle was minimal so after the first mini cycle Ammo went up to 4.0 Nitrite went up to 1.0 nitrate to 10 & ph at 8.2 when Ammo and Nitrite went down to 0, I added the damsel and snails as well as some dwarf blue hermits as I started to get some green alge on the base rock I had.

Currently all are at 0 after 1 per week 5gal water changes for the past 2 weeks and ph is at 8.2

I have been told that I may not have a diatom out break, but have just recently seen some light brown spots in the sand bed, but the hermits seem to be keeping it under control for now.

My calcium is low at 360 not sure if that has anything to do with the rock turning white or maybe that is what is using up the calcium, using reef crystals salt mix thought that would supplement the calcium, but may have to dose for that I guess.

Kh is at 10

Phos is 0

Archived