ReefCleaners.org

How to convince a Clown FIsh?

chudders

Nothing successfull seems to happen immediatly with Marine Aquariums... after introducing a Malu Anemone on SUnday, it is staying put, has attached to rock, BUT the 2 clowns are just looking at it. How do I convince them to host it, draw instructions, put a house for sale sign :-)

Does anyone have experiance on how long it will take? I guess they may never deceide to host it?

Nothing successfull seems to happen immediatly with Marine Aquariums... after introducing a Malu Anemone on SUnday, it is staying put, has attached to rock, BUT the 2 clowns are just looking at it. How do I convince them to host it, draw instructions, put a house for sale sign :-)

Does anyone have experiance on how long it will take? I guess they may never deceide to host it?

Show them a video of another clown hosting a nem. Ive done this with two different clowns in different tanks and after three or four days they got the idea.

What I did was I put a video that I got off the net onto my phone then played it while holding it flush to the tank glass. The clown would freak out and do all kinds of crazy stuff so I assume that it triggered some kind of territorial reaction. Whatever it was, a couple days later the lights came on and he was all cozy up in the rock flower nem.

You could also try printing images of a clown in the anemone and tape it to the side of the tank. i have heard of this working for some

You could also try printing images of a clown in the anemone and tape it to the side of the tank. i have heard of this working for some

He's getting closer!...

nearly_clown.JPG

I honestly thought you pulling my leg, clowning around (pardon the pun) when you said about the video or picture, I've done the picture and he's doing more to investigate and getting much closer to the real anemone. Fingers crossed...

My friend's clown pair hosts a terra cotta flower pot.

It took an hour after adding it and now it's there anemone.

Time

i threw in a different clown that i know would host it then they chased him off and i took him out and after that they took over

Treat your clownfish like a child. First yell at it and if it still doesn't listen, then beat it with a rubber hose.

Seriously, just give it time.

Treat your clownfish like a child. First yell at it and if it still doesn't listen, then beat it with a rubber hose.

Seriously, just give it time.

This is only effective if you have a big enough tank to get a good swing at it.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a little under two weeks he's done it!

The anemone ended up in a corner ( where the heater was so i had to move the heater so it did blister itself) and 3 days after settling there, I dont think he can move away now as the corner is dipped and may have helped that the fish use to like hanging out in the corner. Either way im delighted, great to see.

athome.JPG

That anemone looks so bleached :(

Heteractis Malu are not white. That anemone needs regular feeding, strong light and excellent, stable water conditions if it is to recover. Are you sure you are in a position to offer it that? If it dies, it could cause havock in your tank and if it lives they can get quite large.

PS What a disappointment the 6 Nations was this year.

Heteractis Malu are not white. That anemone needs regular feeding, strong light and excellent, stable water conditions if it is to recover. Are you sure you are in a position to offer it that? If it dies, it could cause havock in your tank and if it lives they can get quite large.

PS What a disappointment the 6 Nations was this year.

It has started to turn just a little browner. I hope it continues. Its certainly not entirly happy as it does wonder around the tank. I can certainly give it

Lights - Yes

Water - Very good although not excellent water conditions, Phosphate 0.03 ppm

Feeding - It does seem to go for the brine shrimp about 1 or 2 grams every 3 or 4 days with a bulb blaster. Should it be more?

At the minute he (the anemone) does not have his pedal disc anchored to either the side of the tank or a rock.

6 Nations rugby, very disapointing, it was so bad I thought Italy was going to win it! :-)

Try meatier foods; shrimp, shelfish or small saltwater fish such as whitebait. Feed about three times a week as the anemone needs to rebuild a population of zooxanthellae.

• 2 weeks later...
Try meatier foods; shrimp, shelfish or small saltwater fish such as whitebait. Feed about three times a week as the anemone needs to rebuild a population of zooxanthellae.

Both are now hosting! Is turning slightly browner but have not changed diet yet.

browner.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived