ReefCleaners.org

True or false percs?

jmrybak

I finally decided which ones I wanted, I wont say what I hope they are. I called around and found a great price on tank raised. Now i'm not sure what they are. The larger of the 2 is about an inch and 3/4 maybe, smaller misbar is about an inch and a quarter or so. Sorry if the photos aren't the best, these buggers are tough to get a clean shot of, ill try posting some better pics later.

post-46174-1271078433_thumb.jpg

Here are some better photos, i dont know where to stop counting spines it's hard to say where one fin ends. But the misbar was more cooperative so here he is.

another one

post-46174-1271083204_thumb.jpg

post-46174-1271083380_thumb.jpg

Judging by the outlines these look like false percs, because I have a pair of false and the black outlines look the same, as a true perc the outlines would be much darker and thicker! Either way nice addition they look great.

well, i first must say thanks to all those out there. Second i do really like the misbar, as he is interesting and unique. But i must say im disappointed as I paid the extra money for trues and trusted the LFS, im going to be having a chat with them later. Open to any other info someone could share.

anyone ever heard of differentiating via color of the iris of these fish. Ive heard that the falsies have darker irises that make their eyes appear larger while the trues have light irises that blend in with their body color.

well, i first must say thanks to all those out there. Second i do really like the misbar, as he is interesting and unique. But i must say im disappointed as I paid the extra money for trues and trusted the LFS, im going to be having a chat with them later. Open to any other info someone could share.

Why would "trues" be more than "false"?

Here comes a rant..

Its my pet peeve in reefing when people call clownfish "true percula" and "false percula". They are two different types of clownfish one is occellaris and the other is percula. So technically we are calling occellaris fish "false percula, or fake percula, or wrong percula, not a percula". How can they be false if they are a different type of fish?

Why should one be more expensive than the other though? They are similar looking fish and they both can be found tank raised. It all comes down to coloration and temperament and what one you like better. As long as you got a healthy pair of fish at a good price i wouldnt make a stink about it with the LFS.

I should go around calling everyone with the name Josh "false josh" because they arent me.

anyone ever heard of differentiating via color of the iris of these fish. Ive heard that the falsies have darker irises that make their eyes appear larger while the trues have light irises that blend in with their body color.

That's what I always heard. True percula's iris is orange. There is also the "fin" thing but who can count the number of dorsal spines while a clown is moving around!! :P

false perc is easier to spell..

So it comes down to "I'm too lazy to even attempt spelling it or getting it wrong." Along with "I'm too lazy to expand my vocabulary so i take the easy way out".

Gotta love this hobby!

I'm just anal i guess.

That's what I always heard. True percula's iris is orange. There is also the "fin" thing but who can count the number of dorsal spines while a clown is moving around!! :P

Yeah the "fin" thing and the coloration is all I have heard. In all honesty I've had a pair of clowns for about a year and a half and i still never counted their fins or cared to know what type they are. They are orange and white, pretty, healthy, and cool fish. Thats all i care about and the reason i bought them.

For some reason people think because one is "true" and one is "false" that the "false" ones are inferior or not cool because they are fakes. If you want to get technical "Nemo" is actually what everyone is calling a "false percula".

false perc is easier to spell..

:lol: how about we call them......clowns!! :lol: :lol:

Yeah the "fin" thing and the coloration is all I have heard. In all honesty I've had a pair of clowns for about a year and a half and i still never counted their fins or cared to know what type they are. They are orange and white, pretty, healthy, and cool fish. Thats all i care about and the reason i bought them.

For some reason people think because one is "true" and one is "false" that the "false" ones are inferior or not cool because they are fakes. If you want to get technical "Nemo" is actually what everyone is calling a "false percula".

Exactly!

So it comes down to "I'm too lazy to even attempt spelling it or getting it wrong." Along with "I'm too lazy to expand my vocabulary so i take the easy way out".

Gotta love this hobby!

I'm just anal i guess.

I just say flase b/c its a common term and easier to spell as i cram for a quiz on right sided heart failure i forgot... haha

i just like the black and was told that the perculas will blacken with age. how old are 1 and 3/4 inch percs usually?

I just say flase b/c its a common term and easier to spell as i cram for a quiz on right sided heart failure i forgot... haha

i just like the black and was told that the perculas will blacken with age. how old are 1 and 3/4 inch percs usually?

Its cool i wasnt pointing anyone out it was just a rant. And honestly you dont even have to listen to me and go about your normal business lol.

Its hard to say their age, but they sound like they are at sexual maturity. The biggest percula that I've heard of was between 4 and 4 1/2 inches. You usually dont see them that big though. The standard full grown size of a male is about 1.5 and the standard full grown size of a female is 1.8 inches

the true/false perc thing confused the hell out of me when I was a newb, and I still think its stupid. I use occellaris and percula, much simpler. And yours do look like occellaris, rather cool ones to boot.

the true/false perc thing confused the hell out of me when I was a newb, and I still think its stupid. I use occellaris and percula, much simpler. And yours do look like occellaris, rather cool ones to boot.

*ocellaris

And I only seem to count 10 spines on the only pic you can count them in.. so.. *shrug*

northstar1357

Who cares what you got. as long as they dont fight each other. If you ask your kids or friends they will say you got a "Nemo"

Who cares what you got. as long as they dont fight each other. If you ask your kids or friends they will say you got a "Nemo"

I understand your point, just wanted one that would blacken up a bit with age and hate overpaying as i can easily get a pair of occellaris, even ORA, for less than i paid for these.

pic

pic

post-46174-1271193027_thumb.jpg

post-46174-1271193079_thumb.jpg

post-46174-1271193109_thumb.jpg

northstar1357
I understand your point, just wanted one that would blacken up a bit with age and hate overpaying as i can easily get a pair of occellaris, even ORA, for less than i paid for these.

Those are really nice misbars ocellaris. I'll share my secret to darken your clownfish with you. Something that i did a while back when i wanted onyx clownfish, i took a picture of my clownfish and use my adobe magic on it. Well at least my percula looks like onyx percula on my wall paper now ;)

dont know..the eyes do say True perc to me..they are surrounded by orange rather then being all black looking like FALSE percs..LOL

Archived