Top Shelf Aquatics

Flashing tilefish

v850aq

Just got one of these guys last thursday, happy to say he's doing well and eating mysis! I wanted to share my experience from day one (ish...day 4...). As of right now he's made his home in a burrow of sand under a rocky overhang. No photos as of yet, but I should be able to get some tomorrow during feeding time, or maybe a video?

Ive heard quite a bit about how hard they are to care for, but im excited to see how this goes. We get them in at work now and again, they do well enough, though there is a really high variance in overall health depending on where we get them from. I didnt have to deal with shipping, so that helps quite a bit, and the fish comes from a reliable vendor :happy:

For those who havent seen them before:

they have iridescent scales that they can move slightly, changing their color rapidly when stressed.

more tomorrow!

well, so much for it being shy:

feeding time!

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

youtube is being dumb, so ill get movies up later

unfortunately the photos tend to get washed out by the LEDs, but the colors are intense! After feeding he went back to hiding, but with any luck he'll be out a little more with each day.

oh yah, the purple tang does not like him

Nice pics! Tilefish always look interesting except that they're so delicate. A video would be great!

I think i can do that :lol: No color change in these :( maybe in future videos or if i can get my camera settings fixed so its not so washed out. At least he's comfortable in his new home!

Good stuff. The big early hump to get over with these guys is finding a healthy specimen and getting them comfortable enough to come out an eat. Looks like you've taken care of that part. I would say long term your biggest enemies are the possibility that it jumps out (or knocks itself out on a hard top), or is perpetually stressed by the tang.

IME/O a lot of the fish that we think of as "delicate" are really just very sensitive to chronic low levels of stress, primarily due to aggression from other fish. Moorish idols and tilefish are both good examples.

Good stuff. The big early hump to get over with these guys is finding a healthy specimen and getting them comfortable enough to come out an eat. Looks like you've taken care of that part. I would say long term your biggest enemies are the possibility that it jumps out (or knocks itself out on a hard top), or is perpetually stressed by the tang.

IME/O a lot of the fish that we think of as "delicate" are really just very sensitive to chronic low levels of stress, primarily due to aggression from other fish. Moorish idols and tilefish are both good examples.

well said, couldnt agree more. My purple tang is somewhat aggressive towards all new inhabitants, but calms down over a week or so. Hopefully that trend continues with the tilefish, or ill have a tang to get rid of :lol:

oh dear... i spy a tang :mellow:

I probably shouldnt show you all my 1gal picos with tangs in them then, huh?

very cool! also on a side note what kind of lighting are you using? I really like the overall look

120w LED + 78w t5 actinic

Archived