Cultivated Reef

Cheap Beginners Clam

Zepo.

Whats the cheapest and best beginners clam? I'm going to keep it in my 48x24x8 tank under 500W MH and 98 Watts of PC. Thanks.

I think all clams are about the same price, they start around 50/60. IDK if maximas or crocea are considered easier...I believe their difficulty is probably the same. I believe the larger clams are the same difficulty too. What about getting some cheap acro frags and giving them a few weeks, if they are good then try some clams? They need many of the same parameters.

psykobowler

Don't get the acro. If you have the means to check and maintain your alk, cal, mg, then get a clam first. It will clean your tank prior to introducing sps.

demonclownfish

you definitely have enough lighting for a derasa, squamosa, or a gigas. maybe even a maxima! i keep a derasa under 72W of PC in my 29g biocube and have had him happy and alive for almost a year and a half.

you definitely have enough lighting for a derasa, squamosa, or a gigas. maybe even a maxima! i keep a derasa under 72W of PC in my 29g biocube and have had him happy and alive for almost a year and a half.

I think you may have missed that he has 500w MH over the tank.

Go for Maxima. More forgiving than Crocea.

Archived