ReefCleaners.org

green water

Nano-Nut

My new tank is about 2-3 months old and has already gone through a brown algae on the sand and rocks. Now its gone and the water is green. Not on glass yet, but water. I have been doing weekly water changes, except I have did one everyday for the last 3 days. My reef is a 20 gal long with 25-30 lbs of live rock and 95 watt's of T5 lighting. I need to get this crappy water out of my tank.

Second. When I clear my algae, will these lights work with some SPS and LPS corals.

Thanks for some help.

I think green water is usually due to a growth of phytoplankton. Turn the lights off for a few days and it will reduce the population. Once you get some coral in there the phyto is great coral food.

As far as your question about lighting for SPS, which fixture do you have? Is the 95 watt fixture a 4 bulb setup? Reflectors make a huge difference. But you should at least be fine for some lower light SPS like monti caps and most any LPS.

I think green water is usually due to a growth of phytoplankton. Turn the lights off for a few days and it will reduce the population. Once you get some coral in there the phyto is great coral food.

As far as your question about lighting for SPS, which fixture do you have? Is the 95 watt fixture a 4 bulb setup? Reflectors make a huge difference. But you should at least be fine for some lower light SPS like monti caps and most any LPS.

I am using city water and have used it before. My param are kh 14, phos. .05, nitrate, 0 and cal 420.

The lights are factory built and are new with 2x 24watt actinic and 2 x24 watt 12k for a total of 96watts. I also have about 2-3 inches of live sand and some zoos and mushrooms.

I have feed my few animals Kent PhytoPlex which is the same color as my water. But in all, I don't think it's been 1 oz in over a month.

I am using city water and have used it before. My param are kh 14, phos. .05, nitrate, 0 and cal 420.

The lights are factory built and are new with 2x 24watt actinic and 2 x24 watt 12k for a total of 96watts. I also have about 2-3 inches of live sand and some zoos and mushrooms.

I have feed my few animals Kent PhytoPlex which is the same color as my water. But in all, I don't think it's been 1 oz in over a month.

My feeling is its algae(probably dead) in the water. when lots of algae dies or breaks off it will turn the water green. my sugestion is to just run a really fine filter media and clean it every day until it clears up. no matter what it is if your setup allows you to run a 50 micron pureflow filter pad in it I would do that. some LFS carry them and most will order it if they don't have it.

I don't normally run mechanical filtration but if something happens to cloud the water and I don't like it I'll plop on my emperor 400 HOB with 50 micron pads in it and that will clear it up in a day or 3.

start doing 10% water changes every 3 day's until you are cleared up in a few week's

also if you want to add phyto you should add live phyto j.m.o

DimePieceReef

I would ditch the city water and go with RO water or distilled. I get distilled water from walmart at about .83-.88 a gallon.

I would ditch the city water and go with RO water or distilled. I get distilled water from walmart at about .83-.88 a gallon.

^^^ Yep. Tap using water is asking for trouble. Think of all the crap inside your shower head that has accumilated over time.

I know in my 20 gal tank I evaporate about 5-6 gallons a week. Now all of that crud in the water is staying in the tank. So over the last couple years that my tank has been up I've used well over 500 gallons worth of water for top off alone.

If I were to have used tap water to top offs I couldn't imagine haveing ALL of the sediment and heavy metals from that water still in my tank. Sure some of it will come out with water cahnges, but I guarantee you have copper and lead in your water, along with dozend of other heavy metals and toxins. Plus phosphates etc...

I'd start using distilled for now. And get an RO/DI unit when you can. It took me a couple years to get my RO unit, but i used distilled until then and naver had any problems.

bottle your water and sell it as phyto cause thats what it is :lol:

the phosphates are a great contributor to algae growth even in trace amounts. you can test the tap water you are using, and you'll see that that is the source of phosphates, iron, copper calcium, and maybe even some nitrates among other trace elements.

Archived