Pod Your Reef

caleurpa overgrowing

doctaq

i have a small patch of caleurpa that has stated growing on to one of my main rocks. i pulled out a ton of it from the sand. the stuff breaks when i pull on it a little and the rock that its on is one of two main rocks in my tank and has a ton of corals on it. i really would not like to take this rock out, do you think an urchin could take care of this? i also have gelledium which i wouldnt mind getting rid of either. i suppose i would have to epoxy down all my corals lest the urchin carry them around.

Use a pair of tweezers and remove the stuff one root at a time. You will need to do this several times because a small piece of root left in the rock can re-grow into a new branch, then you are starting over again. But if you are diligent you can get rid of it by checking and pulling anything you see every couple of days for a couple of months.

dsoz

nor_cal_nano
Use a pair of tweezers and remove the stuff one root at a time. You will need to do this several times because a small piece of root left in the rock can re-grow into a new branch, then you are starting over again. But if you are diligent you can get rid of it by checking and pulling anything you see every couple of days for a couple of months.

dsoz

that's exactly what I did and I haven't seen any regrow in months. It took me about 4 rounds of going back and removing whatever would regrow. But now, it's gone for good.

disaster999

try using algaefix marine from API. ive used it to rid algae in my tank with pretty good success. just stop using it once you see the algae dying.

I had a xanthid crab that I moved to my sump where I had a major grape caulerpa problem. He ate it all in 1week. Never seen my sump so clean! He's been down there for a few weeks at least now.

Archived