Pod Your Reef

What should I feed Turbo Snail?

jeffblly

I have a Turbo snail that is doing his job and mowed down the turf algae and now Im afraid he is going to starve. I had another one recently and he mowed down the turf algae and then died. I dont want this one to die since he is doing such a good job.

Is there something that I can feed it?

I was thinking something like the seaweed they feed to fish.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Im pretty sure you can get some dried algae and wrap it around a small piece of rock and place it in the tank. The snail should just eat it off of there.

How big of a tank do you have? I have three large ones in a 14 gallon biocube and they're going strong... you shouldn't have to feed them anything. If they are starving maybe its better to get a couple smaller snails

It will eat algae off the glass and rock. I have never fed a snail directly.

+1

I never had to feed any of mine either. I had just read somewhere of a guy using the dried algae method.

+1

I never had to feed any of mine either. I had just read somewhere of a guy using the dried algae method.

I put some dried algae under my magfoat and let mine grab a piece then move it over to the next after they rip a piece off. My fish likes this because he eats the floating bits that fly away as I move the sheet. I do it every so often as a treat if the tank is looking like there's not enough algae--the problem is it makes them poop a bunch, which is kind of gross.

I do it every so often as a treat if the tank is looking like there's not enough algae

I wish I had that problem.

Thanks for the replies.

I have 2 astreas, 3 ceriths, 2 nerites and 3 jumbo nassarius but I only see my turbo on the rocks and he does a better job at cleaning the rocks than all of them combined. I will try the Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Select Green and feed sparingly to see if he will eat it.

A longer light cycle will help to grow algie . If that is not an option you can feed algie pellets (the ones for fresh water algie eaters) I use them once a week and have even seen the porcilen crab eating it.

ummmmmmmmm feeding the cleanup crew? thats like giving janitors good pay. it shouldnt be done. if you think your snails are gonna starve feed your fish more and they will make more nutrients in your water that will feed your algae (which you should be happy you dont have alot) then your snails will eat it. but if your snails arent dying dont change anything they are getting food somehow

Archived